New Plane

FMS_Wes

Hello everyone!
I am looking for a new RC plane as I have "grown out" of my old trainers. Could anyone recommend a good plane that's a step past a trainer, but not too complicated or hard to fly?
Thanks!

MrClean

Ugly Stick. Bout as basic a 2nd airplane can get yet provide a lifetime of fun flying. I'll always have one in the inventory. I also have a flying wing and a trainer. Look, don't get rid of the trainer. They really are fun to abuse. Build a rato pod for it. Put a bomb drop on it. If you have a single flap servo widen the bay a bit and put two servos in it so you can play with flaperons. This if we're talking balsa. If you're talking flite test try a Scout a Versa or a Bloody wonder. When I get back from my indoor fly next week I'm going to order one of the Hellcat kits and put that together for my front yard (I'm in the country, it's about an acre with an unfortunate Hedge tree on one side I'd get rid of but, it's gotta be a good 50-75 years old-but- it does have thorns on part of it)
What specifically are you talking about for you trainer and what size/power are you looking to move into. Even the plane in my photo is a Stick, albeit gas powered and made out of Coroplast (plastic campaign sign cardboard). Funny enough, the SPAD UltraSpadstick pictured builds remarkably similar to a flite test plane.
Tell us more what way you're going. What type of building you're looking at. IF you have a club your using and if that club has an FAA approved flying site. I'll talk smack about that all day long in the end though I want as many pilots out here as I can get cuzz we're a dying breed.

Tench745

Master member
Out of curiosity, what trainer(s) did you grow out of? It'll give us an idea of what a step looks like.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I have "grown out" of my old trainers. Could anyone recommend a good plane that's a step past a trainer, but not too complicated or hard to fly?...
I'm guessing your "old trainer" has a bit more to teach you. Slowly, a little each flight move the CG aft until you reach 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch aft. Slowly and a little each flight increase the throws, on the servo move the control rod outward or on the surface, move the control rod inward one hole at a time. Tweak the CG one flight and the throws the next. You will find your "old trainer" is an entirely new plane. You want to do this slowly, at some point your plane will become an uncontrollable flying squirrel. When is does back off a bit, make the plane fly the way you want it too.

When you can fly your trainer inverted across the sky, you have the skills to fly most any plane you want to attempt. A warbird, flying wing, 3D, whatever you choose.

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
FMS_Wes
I have to agree with Merv.
Don't just fly your trainer but see if you can make it "fly better" by modifying it. Bigger battery, more powerful motor, altering the control throws, see how slowly you can make it fly or even add flaps. You will learn a lot about what works and what doesn't and you might end up with something that you just keep flying.
Then move up to the next plane. You will be in much better position to understand its differences.