New project : SE5 biplane

Maxx

Hello everyone !
I couldn't resist the urge to build another plane . I chose the SE5 biplane . Simple and beautiful .
It's not from the FT plans but from pics I found on Google . The fuselage is 23" long , Wingspan is 34" . It's a swapable with my C-power pack .
010.JPG maxresdefault.jpg SE5a_3_vues.jpg
I will paint it but don't know what colors yet .
Updates will come ...

Thank you !

Maxx

Maxx

The wings are almost done , now I'm working on the wooden strut that connects the top wing to the rest of the plane . I use extra large popcicle stick or tongue stick . Two glued together should be thick enough . I forgot to make a hole in the center of the bottom wing for
the servo wires ... Well I'll improvise something . I wanted to paint it with a cool color scheme , but the more I look at the pictures , the more I think I will go with the original colors , I will even make the machinegun .
Do you guys prime before color ?
Thank you !
007.JPG 004.JPG 002.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 003.JPG

Maxx

The landing gear is done . Now all it's left to do is a bit of finition before painting . I didn't fix the top wing yet , I want to paint first .
For the landing gear I put a piece of foamboard on the inside , and a wood tongue stick on the exterior . I will taint it brown so we can see the wood grain .
I'm still wondering if I should spay a primer coat . I have that red to cover so it has the same color of the white wings .
Some people go with oil based , some with acrylic . Can anyone help me with this please ?

003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 019.JPG 022.JPG 024.JPG

Last edited:

Maxx

So since I started in this hobby 4 months ago , I made myself a simple cub , a se5a biplane and a copter thingy ...
I can't wait this summer to learn how to pilot those things ( a bunch of 57 year old dudes had a blast with that copter thingy , who would have thought . ) . But I think by this time I will have build other swappable models with my C-pack .

030.JPG

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
The landing gear is done . Now all it's left to do is a bit of finition before painting . I didn't fix the top wing yet , I want to paint first .
For the landing gear I put a piece of foamboard on the inside , and a wood tongue stick on the exterior . I will taint it brown so we can see the wood grain .
I'm still wondering if I should spay a primer coat . I have that red to cover so it has the same color of the white wings .
Some people go with oil based , some with acrylic . Can anyone help me with this please ?

View attachment 158139 View attachment 158138 View attachment 158137 View attachment 158136 View attachment 158135 View attachment 158134 View attachment 158133 View attachment 158132 View attachment 158131 View attachment 158130
I typically use oil based, just test it out on a scrap piece of foam to make sure it doesn't eat away at the foam.

Maxx

I typically use oil based, just test it out on a scrap piece of foam to make sure it doesn't eat away at the foam.

Will it cover enough so there's no difference between the white and red parts once painted. The color is dark green and I wouldn't like to see a difference in the tone .

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yeah there'd probably be a difference in color. You don't really need a primer coat it just adds a bit of durability to the paint...You should be fine without using a primer coat.

Maxx

Now that the Cub is ready to fly , I'm working on the SE5A . It's painting time !!! I love that hobby !

Attachments

• 103.JPG
    103.JPG
    759 KB · Views: 0
  • 104.JPG
    104.JPG
    957.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 105.JPG
    105.JPG
    759.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 106.JPG
    106.JPG
    959 KB · Views: 0

Maxx

Now I need to make the front part radiator , color the rudder ,put the servos ,glue the wing permanently and put the cables .
That's a lot of work for a plane I will most certainly crash ... LOL ! But I really don't care , if I can't fix it , I will make another one but better .
I was lucky the dollar store had this green spray can and at 4$ , they have very limited choice of colors ... I chose the letter Z because it's easy to make .
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Scotto

Elite member
Hey that looks great! I particularly like the airfoil and the wheels. And the wooden sticks. What are the wheels made of? How does it fly?

Maxx

Hey that looks great! I particularly like the airfoil and the wheels. And the wooden sticks. What are the wheels made of? How does it fly?
Thanks Scotto ! This is the first plane I made . It's too heavy and It's not going to fly . The wheels are made of soda can bottoms and door and window insulation noodle thingy :) There are videos on youtube about those wheels.

Carbon Pug

I've always had a thing for the WW I biplanes, both German & English, I got a lucky score off of CraigsList a while back, an original ParkZone SE5a, never flown,
your scratch build looks kinda cool, but you mentioned it's too heavy to fly?

Maxx

I've always had a thing for the WW I biplanes, both German & English, I got a lucky score off of CraigsList a while back, an original ParkZone SE5a, never flown,
your scratch build looks kinda cool, but you mentioned it's too heavy to fly?
Maybe I will try to make it fly one day .