New Scratch Build

SaltyMrLlama

Hey all, I'm new to posting here! Thought that I'd post my latest scratch build that I'm still working on.

Started off by just ruffing out some measurements on some foam board and hoping for the best lol.

3d printed a mini swappable power pod from thingiverse. Using a power pack A with a 3s lipo.

Modeled and printed out some landing gear yesterday. Currently printing some snow skies that quickly modeled this afternoon.

Just need to make a top hatch and thats it. CG seems alright... so im hoping it flys well 😬
20230118_154651.jpg
20230118_154707.jpg
20230118_154726.jpg
20230118_154659.jpg

SaltyMrLlama

Looks nice. What is the weight? If too heavy, and F pack would easily replace the A pack.
Thanks bro! Not too sure what the weight is with the landing gear. But when I weighed it without landing gear and the battery, it was around 220 grams I belive. The skies I'm printing said that they would use 48 grams of filament. So with the battery and skies installed, maybe 300-400 grams. I'll have to weight it when I'm out of College lol.

SaltyMrLlama

Here are the skies that I designed and printed this afternoon. They ended up being lighter than the wheels! Should be able to take on whatever Canada throws at it now.

Attachments

• 20230119_172156.jpg
    20230119_172156.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230119_172214.jpg
    20230119_172214.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

mastermalpass

Elite member
Nice, straight forward and pretty lightweight! Those ones usually turn out well. 🙂

I'd maiden it in low winds though - that tail looks a bit small and since it's a rudder/elevator set up, I don't know how tight it will be able to turn. Good for docile flight, but you'll need to know the plane's limits for when the wind comes!

SaltyMrLlama

Nice, straight forward and pretty lightweight! Those ones usually turn out well. 🙂

I'd maiden it in low winds though - that tail looks a bit small and since it's a rudder/elevator set up, I don't know how tight it will be able to turn. Good for docile flight, but you'll need to know the plane's limits for when the wind comes!
Thank bro. After watching a few videos related to Canadian drone laws, I discovered that you are not allowed to fly aircraft over 250g unless you have a basic drone license + plane registration. All of this wouldn't matter though since my city is covered in airport designated flight zones. Sub 250 gram planes seem to have no restrictions though. So.... I build a ft mini scout and it ended up being 245g with electronics and a 2s lipo. I've also been working on designing a smaller plane that will run off the power pack A/F; attempting to weigh below 200g. This would allow me to experiment with landing gear/skies or different wing designs without the fear of going over the weight limit.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Thank bro. After watching a few videos related to Canadian drone laws, I discovered that you are not allowed to fly aircraft over 250g unless you have a basic drone license + plane registration. All of this wouldn't matter though since my city is covered in airport designated flight zones. Sub 250 gram planes seem to have no restrictions though. So.... I build a ft mini scout and it ended up being 245g with electronics and a 2s lipo. I've also been working on designing a smaller plane that will run off the power pack A/F; attempting to weigh below 200g. This would allow me to experiment with landing gear/skies or different wing designs without the fear of going over the weight limit.
If you use 1103 motors you can scale down many planes and keep them light.or you can build a twin sparrow for under 250 grams. For the gear, you can print at a small infoll, something like 5 percent to reduce weight…

mastermalpass

Elite member

Ah, shame about the airspace restrictions. There are apps that can provide detail about these restrictions - maybe a field near you is slipping between them.

How much does your own design weigh? Those landing gears look lovely, but I'm assuming they weigh more than what you'll really need. My planes have wheels made from a single piece of foam with a 1cm^2 piece of plywood glued in the middle, hole drilled through and threaded onto a few inches of coat-hanger wire that I bend into shape and tape onto the fuselage.

Depending on size and weight, you might be able to use a 2S lipo rather than a 3S. There's a couple designs I made where the 2S Lipo is how they achieve a sub-250 weight.

How much is flyer registration in Canada? It's only £9 a year in the UK.