New to fixed wing

Jroettele

Hey everyone. I’m in the transition between quads and fixed wing. I’ve been watching all the FT videos and all those planes look so much more stable then mine. I just recently built a FT Tutor. Any tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

bigdano711

CG is critical. If you're measuring CG with your fingers, stop doing that and build a simple CG machine, make marks on your wing and measure properly.

That and building square are probably the most important. I've built the Simple Cub from the speed build kit and scratch built the Tiny Trainer and the Mini Sportster. I haven't flown the Mini Sportster, yet, but I know I built the tail section crooked and will probably just re-build the whole plane. I'll try it the way it is but don't have a whole lot of faith in it.

I'm not crazy about the wing design of these FT planes, so I went with a KFm-3 wing on the Tiny Trainer and like it a lot more than the FT design. Bonus: it's WAY easier to build.

Edit: one more thing, EXPO! If you haven't already, add 30% expo to rudder, elevator and ailerons. Also, I'd recommend setting up dual rates if you can. Very small and light stick inputs. It's amazing how much reaction you get with very little input.

Last edited:

clolsonus

There are different styles/preferences for flying a fixed wing. (Not right or wrong.) My approach is to let the airplane do as much of the flying as possible. I try to get it trimmed out on the transmitter so I don't have to chase it. Then I like to use the smallest nudges possible. For me it's more about enjoying the beauty of flight than doing constant crazy aerobatics. I've been told I'm a "low gain" pilot. There are "high gain" pilots that can achieve just as much precision or whatever the metric is, but they throw the sticks around a lot more. Again, not right or wrong, but comes down to preference and what works for your style.

dap35

Elite member
Hey everyone. I’m in the transition between quads and fixed wing. I’ve been watching all the FT videos and all those planes look so much more stable then mine. I just recently built a FT Tutor. Any tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
I would double check the control surface throws using the gauge in the kit. I was using too much throw and the plane was all over the place. After cutting back the throws it is well behaved.

CG is critical. If you're measuring CG with your fingers, stop doing that and build a simple CG machine, make marks on your wing and measure properly.

That and building square are probably the most important. I've built the Simple Cub from the speed build kit and scratch built the Tiny Trainer and the Mini Sportster. I haven't flown the Mini Sportster, yet, but I know I built the tail section crooked and will probably just re-build the whole plane. I'll try it the way it is but don't have a whole lot of faith in it.

I'm not crazy about the wing design of these FT planes, so I went with a KFm-3 wing on the Tiny Trainer and like it a lot more than the FT design. Bonus: it's WAY easier to build.

Edit: one more thing, EXPO! If you haven't already, add 30% expo to rudder, elevator and ailerons. Also, I'd recommend setting up dual rates if you can. Very small and light stick inputs. It's amazing how much reaction you get with very little input.
Solid.

Jroettele

I would double check the control surface throws using the gauge in the kit. I was using too much throw and the plane was all over the place. After cutting back the throws it is well behaved.
Thats a good idea. I’ll check that.

bigdano711

Thank you, @Monte.C Simple CG machine:

400736_a0c77eb2660e84e5c4df02205b53338a.jpg
400738_884b4353bc74c6d863d58deb322544ca.jpg

SSgt Duramax

Kind of what others have said.

CG. CG. CG.

Throws ~10%

Plane - As light of a wing loading as possible while still being able to fly in whatever winds you have in your area. 3ch or 4ch doesn't matter as long as your throws and CG are good.

How slow do you want to go and how easy do you want? My daughters current plane will fly backwards in a 10mph wind and fly at 5mph in a calm day. You literally have to do nothing to launch it other than throttle it up and let go.

Wing design - It doesn't matter a whole lot, FT v. KFm v. Smooth, they all fly about the same. I like the smooth ones because they are as easy or easier to build than the FT ones and look better. You do want some dihedral on your first plane.

Pay attention to your build, but at the end of the day, just because it is crooked, doesn't mean it won't fly. One of my best flying planes had the wing on slanted, and it had about 2 degrees of forward sweep on one side and 2 degrees of back sweep on the other.

Having a fast plane is like having a fast car. Yeah, cool to have, but unless you have the place to open it up and let it stretch its legs, what is the point? I have just as much fun with my slower flying planes as I do with the ones that rip. I fly in a small area, and you clear a football field rather quickly at 60-80mph.

If you want other trainer recommendations, I've got them. @Ratcheeroo just released a Sig Kadet design that flies great. My daughter has a plane called the fish, I built the fuselage out of XPS and laminated it, super slow flyer. If you google "EZ pelican" you will find a pusher that can survive nose impacts with concrete. It was my daughters second trainer, and I really enjoyed it. If you were to make an aileron wing for it and put a little bigger motor on it, it would be a hoot. The best thing about these planes is they aren't complex. I think the tutor is cool, but it is also a fairly complicated build, and I decided I didn't want to mess with it. For my daughters current trainer, it would take me about 5 minutes to make a new wing for it, maybe 10 for a new fuselage. The most time consuming thing would be setting the servos up again. The tiny trainer is also a good build, but I never found it to be terribly robust. Not so much in the typical areas, but I always had an issue with the rear of the fuselage cracking.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Here was my journey until I actually had a real "flight" that lasted longer than 30 sec. And these are in the order I built and flew them : FT Alpha x2 (not a beginner plane LOL), FT Sparrow x2(another bad beginner choice), FT MM Corsair, FT MM Mustang (some success with this, but too small and too fast for a beginner), FT-22 and Mini FT-22, FT Tiny Trainer x2 (limited success, this plane does not like wind,) and then I built the FT Racer and it was a game changer. That plane is still one of my most favorite, hands down. Very easy flier, and allows you to build skills that you need to be able to fly smaller planes. IMO a larger plane like this would be a consideration because you have a little bit more time to react to the plane and It is much easier to see and keep track of your orientation in the sky. I built 3 of these plane and they all flew fantastic, I still have one in my hangar and when it gets to a point of no repair I will build another one if for no other reason because it just looks cool:LOL:So I guess what I am saying is that bigger planes are easier to fly , not just my opinion but something I have heard repeatedly. Best of luck in whatever you decide on, you'll get it. Build,fly,crash,repeat , words to live by in this hobby(y)

Here was my journey until I actually had a real "flight" that lasted longer than 30 sec. And these are in the order I built and flew them : FT Alpha x2 (not a beginner plane LOL), FT Sparrow x2(another bad beginner choice), FT MM Corsair, FT MM Mustang (some success with this, but too small and too fast for a beginner), FT-22 and Mini FT-22, FT Tiny Trainer x2 (limited success, this plane does not like wind,) and then I built the FT Racer and it was a game changer. That plane is still one of my most favorite, hands down. Very easy flier, and allows you to build skills that you need to be able to fly smaller planes. IMO a larger plane like this would be a consideration because you have a little bit more time to react to the plane and It is much easier to see and keep track of your orientation in the sky. I built 3 of these plane and they all flew fantastic, I still have one in my hangar and when it gets to a point of no repair I will build another one if for no other reason because it just looks cool:LOL:So I guess what I am saying is that bigger planes are easier to fly , not just my opinion but something I have heard repeatedly. Best of luck in whatever you decide on, you'll get it. Build,fly,crash,repeat , words to live by in this hobby(y)
word.

SSgt Duramax

Facts, the tiny ones can be a handful. The FT racer is pretty much a FT warbird. I had the same stroke of luck so to speak with the FT P 40. I absolutely love this plane, My last airframe was beat up so I am building another. I still havent had the heart to throw my old one away. Here is the retirement photo.

20220227_172148.jpg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member

What you gain in speed build and performance, you lose in stability. The majority of FT wing designs incorporate some amount of undercamber at the tips, this inherently reduces tip stall, very helpful for those new to the hobby. Even with some undercamber, my FT simple cub was a pig at slow speed and loved to drop a wing.
The KF step works great on smaller planes like RC models and you get the predicted lift. Unfortunately the design doesn't work when you start to increase the wing area, that's why the design can not be used on full size aircraft. I can see where you are coming from with speed of build for someone new to building but it can be a bit of a trade off with stability a slow speed.

bearit

a 3/4 piece of plywood 2'x3' with 18" dowels with holes drilled in a line from center 1 at 6" and 1 at 12" each center line works