NEWBIE but an OLDIE

Excalibre

Late Learner
Hello to everyone at Flight Test, Im a big fan and have been following you guys for years. Congrats on a great platform you have worked hard and done seriously good.

About me well I started in RC about 3 years ago when I purchased my first trainer, an AXN that, from all accounts on information available, was one of the best trainers around at the time (questionable).
Prior to heading out for my first flight I spent a lot of time in front of the simulator practicing my take offs and landings with a similar aircraft and to be honest I had a fair amount of confidence as I packed every thing into the car and headed to the fly zone. Once there I unpacked and had the area to myself. I prepared everything and launched!!!!!!! Well it took off with far to much throttle dropped its tail and headed for the clouds. Heres me thinking "what is going on" ? at about 80ft it banked to the left dropped its wing and headed straight toward the ground in an awesome spiral. YEP 101 pieces lay scattered right where it impacted, and that was the extent of my first flight. "Oh how humbling RC Flying can be"

Despite the disappointment and the now lack of any confidence, I was determined not to outdone by a a battery, some plastic and a few bits of foam(quite a few bits). I needed a more suitable model plane.That was the answer.
Delving into the internet I found the FMS 1280 Easy Trainer to be the answer to my prayers. 10 days later and a lot more practice on the Simulator I headed back to the Fly Zone and SUCCESS I made a beautiful launch it flew beautifully about six laps around and I figured time to land. The approach was great however the flair that occurred was not good and it snapped the wing completely off ("bugger" I thought, along with a few other choice expletives.) Packed it all up headed home very disappointed unpacked the car and placed all the bits into a box and thats where its been ever since that was 3 years ago.

So there you have it my entire RC Plane history. Both planes have since been repaired and are ready to fly Im back on the simulator and contemplating a real fly as soon as the weather is right. If any one has advice, tips, pointers, then don't hesitate to contact me as Im like a dry sponge at the moment and need all the help I can get.

Its nice to be here and I'm looking forward to gleaning heaps of info from you guys that make it look so easy.

Cheers
Mike ;););););)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Your story mirrors so many others it is incredible.

I have a training brochure that was written for my fellow club members on maidening their aircraft. It has a slow and purposeful approach to getting into the air safely.

View attachment Test or first flight.pdf

Have a read and see if it is of any use to you!

Have fun!

Excalibre

Late Learner
Your story mirrors so many others it is incredible.

I have a training brochure that was written for my fellow club members on maidening their aircraft. It has a slow and purposeful approach to getting into the air safely.

View attachment 93061

Have a read and see if it is of any use to you!

Have fun!

Thanks Hai Lee I certainly will have a read

hyperbolic

So, basically I had the same experience except it was with racing drones and not planes. I lost my first drone while flying line of sight: lost orientation, panicked and then hit the throttle. The drone disappeared over the trees and I spent the entire day looking for it. Never found.

My first build ended in a ball of spinning blades and sparks after I put in the flight controller backwards. Another attempt at the build ended with my literally punching the drone way from my face with my radio transmitter. I'm basically lucky that i didn't get cut up before really learning how to do things safely.

Even now, flights that don't end in a crash are pretty rare (and only really happen if I don't try to practice new skills). But, at the end of the day I think the difficulty of the hobby is one of the reasons it's so compelling. There is a real satisfaction with being able to master skills like building and flying these RC planes.

Excalibre

Late Learner
Yep I agree completely. I think that box of pieces as it was kept annoying me the entire time it was there. I must admit I do have the bug again.

drumified

Welcome, Excalibre! I'm new around these parts too. I've found that creating challenges for myself in the simulator has been helpful at improving my skills. For example, one day you can focus on practicing your touch and go and another day focus on loops or rolls. Little by little, things should get more comfortable. I flew simulators exclusively for a few years (college took all the money ;)) and once I finally got a real plane (FT Scout), the skills transferred to the real world. Just keep with it!

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Welcome to the FT family Mike! We are so glad to have you along for the RIDE! ;) These FORUMs have so much info and knowledge, so do not hesitate to ask questions and get advice... AS WELL AS share what you have learned along the way!
Looking forward to seeing you on here more often and enjoying the hobby even more then you already have!

Blessings and Happy Flying my friend! ;)
Stefan

Excalibre

Late Learner
Welcome, Excalibre! I'm new around these parts too. I've found that creating challenges for myself in the simulator has been helpful at improving my skills. For example, one day you can focus on practicing your touch and go and another day focus on loops or rolls. Little by little, things should get more comfortable. I flew simulators exclusively for a few years (college took all the money ;)) and once I finally got a real plane (FT Scout), the skills transferred to the real world. Just keep with it!

Thanks Drumified, I intend to stick with it this time around and Im hoping that the skills do impart themselves from the simulator. Speaking of Simulator's Have you used RC 7 ?

Excalibre

Late Learner
Welcome to the FT family Mike! We are so glad to have you along for the RIDE! ;) These FORUMs have so much info and knowledge, so do not hesitate to ask questions and get advice... AS WELL AS share what you have learned along the way!
Looking forward to seeing you on here more often and enjoying the hobby even more then you already have!

Blessings and Happy Flying my friend! ;)
Stefan

Thanks Stefan, its nice to be here, hopefully some technical stuff very soon.;);););)

SteveRobey

Here's my personal opinion, as a person who couldn't fly anything at all just a few weeks ago:

Don't waste your time with the simulator and don't start out on a really expensive plane. Order the Flite Test Tiny trainer and a power pack A. Get a couple of extra packages of 6x3 propellers and a battery or two. You will not be disappointed. From my experience, it's a heck of a lot easier to learn to fly when you're not afraid of ruining your airplane. The first time I flew my trainer I put it nose first into the tarmac runway and broke my prop. There's still a scar on the spinner from that day, but repairing the plane didn't cost me anything. I simply bent it back to "Basically correct" slapped a little tape on to keep things together and gave it another toss. You'll get comfortable with flying this plane really quickly with the glider wing so make sure you've got your sport wing assembled and ready to go.

It's a lot easier to shrug off a crash landing when you know the most it's going to cost you is ten or twenty bucks to repair, and not being afraid of crashing really helps to focus on flying. Once I got over that I was flying my trainer like a maniac and sliding into perfect landings. I'm extremely glad that Flite Test is around.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Excalibre,

If you ever visit the Brisbane Northside be sure to visit our flying field at Deagon! http://deagonparkflyers.com

We can offer training including buddy box training with a little notice.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

drumified

Thanks Drumified, I intend to stick with it this time around and Im hoping that the skills do impart themselves from the simulator. Speaking of Simulator's Have you used RC 7 ?

I've only used a very old version of RealFlight, but RC7 looks good. Do you already have a radio that you can connect to your PC?