• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Newbie here and need some advise about Engine sizing

Ummon

So, I have been in and out of the hobby for years. I recently stumbled across Flite Test's show and was floored on how cheap it has become. So I am taking my two sons and starting scratch builds (in addition to my new plane). My question is with electrics how do you size an engine to a plane? Is there some sort of weight to thrust calculator than one can use? Do I look for amps or volts?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Amps AND Volts.

For smaller planes you will normally use 3 cell lipo. Calculate with 11 or 12 volts when getting your amps (for the motor rating).
Try not to get more than 50 Amps (for normal planes) - get more cells and higher volts to keep the amps down.
That gives 12*50 = 600 Watts - 6 pounds 3 kg plane normally maximum for a 3 cell LiPo, but in the higher range i would go for a 4 or 5 cell battery.

Lost of other things to concider - KV - rpms combined with the battery voltage to get the prop diameter fitting your needs.

Better to start with a plane.
Find the total weight.
Determine what prop size you want.
Select a proper motor
Select speed controller and battery.

BEST
Check the recommended motor and things for an ARF/RTF of the similar type of plane as you want to build.

Last edited: