Newbie Question about Thrust Angle

mrf

Hi all,

I've got a novice question regarding thrust angle. Is the intent purely to divert the wind vortex away from the tail (to mitigate p-factor) or does it also counter the torque angle of the motor?

The reason I ask is that I ordered a CCW motor for a tractor style plane, but got sent a CW motor. Just wondering if I need to reverse the thrust angle, or whether I can just leave it as is.

Michael

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Firstly the thrust angle is mostly to reduce the effects of "P" factor" as the angles are far too slight to greatly counter motor.propeller torque effects.

Most Brushless motors can rotate in either direction and the CW or CCW designation is related to the thread on the motor output shaft. Ideally the thread should tighten the propeller boss when the throttle is opened so some use right hand thread and others use left hand thread.

As long as you tighten it sufficiently or use a little, (very little), locktight it should eb OK to use either CW or CCW motor.

Thrust angle is also dependent upon motor direction so if you set up using CCW then leave it as it is and if you use a CW setup and reverse propeller you must switch from right thrust to left thrust.

Have fun!

mrf

Thanks Hai Lee,

Thanks for the info.

I ended up putting it in the air spinning CW. The counter turn was noticable at high throttle, but the plane still was flyable. I'll swap the wires and put a CCW prop on it next flight and see how we go! Hopefully it will be 100% perfect :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you flew it with the wrong thrust angle side then when it is correct it should be much easier.

Have fun!

Bricks

Master member
Easiest way to check thrust angle once the plane is trimmed is pull straight up at full throttle and watch what the plane does if it pulls left then add right thrust if it pulls towards the canopy then add down and vice a versa.