Newby - First Speed Build - Spitfire Questions

DaveMac

While I thought I was purchasing a P-40 because I like my neighbors, I accidently picked the Spitfire. Which was O.K., I like the videos on it as well. However, a few comments and questions. First, the build seems to assume that you have done a build before, so I learned a lot that would have been nice to know before hand. But I know now.

I was a little disappointed that there was not a landing gear option for this plane. One of the reasons I was buying this type of plane was to help learn powered landings and not worrying about crashing a expensive plane. Lesson learned. I have found a few videos on this, so I will get some gear on soon.

My biggest problem is getting a 3S 2200 Lipo installed. The battery really doesn't fit well with the connectors. I have looked at multiple pictures and cannot see how people have installed to keep the cable away from the propeller. So what I have done was to buy a power cable extender and move the connector toward the back of the power pack. I also built a cover for the the front end to help secure the battery, and make the plan look better.

But anyone have any suggestions, would love to hear.

Also any suggestions on limits for safe and Expo.

I may fly today as a belly lander just because it is ready and it's a beautiful day. Hope it is not a very short flight.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
Have you flown a plane before? I messed up my spit so it didn’t fly very well but I’ve heard it’s really good. And as for landing gear I’ve never had any luck for foamboard planes. They just rip out… I have seen some pretty nice 3d printed situations before tho.

DaveMac

Have you flown a plane before? I messed up my spit so it didn’t fly very well but I’ve heard it’s really good. And as for landing gear I’ve never had any luck for foamboard planes. They just rip out… I have seen some pretty nice 3d printed situations before tho.
Yes. I been flying a Aeroscout and was a great first plane. Easy fix. The issue is a bad plane to learn how to land because you can glide it in. I moved to a RV-7 and landings have been a little rough. Friends that I have been flying with said I needed a P-40 or T-28 as a second plane. So backing up a little.

DaveMac

Also, I have a nice grass field next to our "runway" to belly land. But would only do it once or twice to make sure the plane flies before I paint and put wheels on it.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
While I thought I was purchasing a P-40 because I like my neighbors, I accidently picked the Spitfire. Which was O.K., I like the videos on it as well. However, a few comments and questions. First, the build seems to assume that you have done a build before, so I learned a lot that would have been nice to know before hand. But I know now.

I was a little disappointed that there was not a landing gear option for this plane. One of the reasons I was buying this type of plane was to help learn powered landings and not worrying about crashing a expensive plane. Lesson learned. I have found a few videos on this, so I will get some gear on soon.

My biggest problem is getting a 3S 2200 Lipo installed. The battery really doesn't fit well with the connectors. I have looked at multiple pictures and cannot see how people have installed to keep the cable away from the propeller. So what I have done was to buy a power cable extender and move the connector toward the back of the power pack. I also built a cover for the the front end to help secure the battery, and make the plan look better.

But anyone have any suggestions, would love to hear.

Also any suggestions on limits for safe and Expo.

I may fly today as a belly lander just because it is ready and it's a beautiful day. Hope it is not a very short flight.
There is a video on youtube where someone has made landing gear for this plane. The cover and extension for your battery were excellent ideas. Here is the video for the landing gear.

DaveMac

I’ve had some successful flights. I did get landing gear and rear wheel installed. The plane tips over if trying to take off normal. Broke a prop and pulled the motor bullhead loose. Beefed up the power box in that area. Now just give full throttle and up elevator on take off. Leaves the ground in just a foot or so.

Really happy with my first build but already learning a lot to do on the next build.
Also my first paint job, and still in work.

Attachments

• 37E9A2F6-B31E-4DE7-9A1C-1C84B4F25957.jpeg
    37E9A2F6-B31E-4DE7-9A1C-1C84B4F25957.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 7B83E32E-9FD8-416C-96C0-014D7782D96E.jpeg
    7B83E32E-9FD8-416C-96C0-014D7782D96E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 027F7432-DBEE-4A29-BF78-65EB74364BF4.jpeg
    027F7432-DBEE-4A29-BF78-65EB74364BF4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I’ve had some successful flights. I did get landing gear and rear wheel installed. The plane tips over if trying to take off normal. Broke a prop and pulled the motor bullhead loose. Beefed up the power box in that area. Now just give full throttle and up elevator on take off. Leaves the ground in just a foot or so.

Really happy with my first build but already learning a lot to do on the next build.
Also my first paint job, and still in work.
Nice job my friend (y),and you got it into the air(y)(y). You realize that things are gonna just gonna snowball from here on out right?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

danskis

Master member
Congrats on the successful flights, that's quite an accomplishment. And your right about the powerbox - I use wood paint stirrers and wood yardsticks to beef up mine. As a second mid performance plane I highly recommend the simple stick. When flying I like to "warm up" on the simple stick then pull out the spitfire. You can make a simple stick in a lot less time than the spitfire.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
There is a video on youtube where someone has made landing gear for this plane. The cover and extension for your battery were excellent ideas. Here is the video for the landing gear.
I watched the same video and built a landing gear for my Spitfire using the same technique :rolleyes:, I assume if you fly off and land on a hard surface it works fine. However, our club uses a grass runway which is okay for flying most models with robust landing gear but punishes the rest. Unfortunately my Spitfire use to suffer on every landing, eventually I had to make the decision. Forget landing gear and just belly land or upgrade/modify the existing. I decided on the latter and using the original plywood mount. I then added additional plywood support which spreads the load further across the wing, I will let you know if and how it works when its finished.
The Spitfire itself fly's like a dream, so much so I am planning to scratch build another this year but this time add retracts.

bigdano711

I watched the same video and built a landing gear for my Spitfire using the same technique :rolleyes:, I assume if you fly off and land on a hard surface it works fine. However, our club uses a grass runway which is okay for flying most models with robust landing gear but punishes the rest. Unfortunately my Spitfire use to suffer on every landing, eventually I had to make the decision. Forget landing gear and just belly land or upgrade/modify the existing. I decided on the latter and using the original plywood mount. I then added additional plywood support which spreads the load further across the wing, I will let you know if and how it works when its finished.
The Spitfire itself fly's like a dream, so much so I am planning to scratch build another this year but this time add retracts.

Is there some law or other red tape preventing the club from building a legit runway? I don't think I could join a club that only had a grass runway...

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
There is a reason we can't have a hard runway, the land owner wouldn't sanction a tarmac runway LOL :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:, we rent our land its not owned by the club.
Land is very expensive to buy in the UK, so I would expect the majority if not all RC clubs in the UK rent their land usually on a long term lease.
Our contract has one clause, we can not fly during August for the whole Month. The landlord hires the land out to a security firm who support a local local music event and concerts in the area.
It's not ideal losing the best month of the year for flying. But I'm guessing the club gets a large discount on our rent for the rest of the year.

bigdano711

Last club I joined had re-purposed astroturf from a nearby college that was upgrading. It was a little lumpy, but far better than real grass.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You can get rolls of rubber mat in decent lengths, which can be rolled out and put away at the end of the day. This would work quite well, but its heavy and its at least two man job to set up and put away.
Most of us in the club are old decrepit guy's, so I can't see anyone being interested in that as an option. In summer when the ground hardens and they keep the grass cut short its as good as Astro turf anyway so we make do.
Its guys with retracts and flimsy landing gear who suffer the most, I haven't seen anyone flying jets since I joined but I believe there are a few members who own them and have flown them in the past off the grass runway.