news on FT Foam?

rallekralle11

Actually not a bad flyer
hello everyone.

i was just wondering if anyone knows the state of flitetest's own foam board, and when it might be available(in sweden).

thanks
//ralle

There is an alternative here in Sweden, and it's not perfect but works if you use packing tape as surface material.
15 sheets @ 199:- SEK ( about €20) < 14 SEK / sheet
Found the tip on Rcflyg.se
xps-dampningsplatta-5mm

IMG_20151109_200714.jpg IMG_20151110_185206.jpg

HawkMan

Isn't that essentially depron, if you use drawings intended for depron planes 3 or 5 mm. You can ditch the whole tape layer and in many cases get better looking planes than you would with the tape and DTFB building. though for slightly more complex building method.

Isn't that essentially depron, if you use drawings intended for depron planes 3 or 5 mm. You can ditch the whole tape layer and in many cases get better looking planes than you would with the tape and DTFB building. though for slightly more complex building method.

Yes it is. But since it's my first scratch build I went the "FT" way. Never built anything in foam at all. Bending foamboards with a heatgun is not in my plans, yet.

HilldaFlyer

Too bad FT made a deal with Adams... with all the glowing reviews of ROSS, that would be the foam board to use for speed build kits. Same stuff and half the aggravation of peeling paper. Maybe they can change supplier?

rallekralle11

Actually not a bad flyer
What do you find wrong with it?

it's gray, and basically impossible to get good cover with colored packing tape.

it has those ugly ridges on the underside.

you don't get the same strenght with depron and tape as with paper-coated foamboard, i always have to reinforce it with wooden dowels or carbon/glass fiber rods.

Last edited:

HawkMan

Yes it is. But since it's my first scratch build I went the "FT" way. Never built anything in foam at all. Bending foamboards with a heatgun is not in my plans, yet.

As I understand it, you shouldn't need a heat gun with 3 and 5 mm depron, at least not if you get the right stuff.

someone on a Norwegian forum once mentioned how he ordered a big stack of 3 and 5 mm from some supply shop, and they called him back and wondered how many model planes he was building :p

complex comes more in the form that you have more internal support and possibly other glues than hot glue, whihc owuld also help with weight, thoughyou can probably use hot glue as well.

personally I've ben sticking to ARF's or kits myself, thogh I at times want to try some of the ft planes, I end up deciding I can get a good ARF for the same price. and if I want to build I'd rather build somethign I can really put myself into, somethign balse that requires some work and time.