No crop mark on leading edge of purchased FT P-38, can't properly locate booms

LundiThembi

I'm well into my build of the P-38, about to glue the booms.

There are crop on the trailing edge of the upper wing of the kit but NOT the leading edge as shown in the build video (build video at 2:05:26,
)

They say about 5 1/2" from fuselage, looking for more exact. Also not shown at all on the down load plans

Thanks for any help!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
5 1/2" seems about right. For a more exact measurement, you should be able to see the crop marks on the plans (version 1.1) as a light green mark on the leading edge.

Piotrsko

Master member
Any way to measure a centerline on the boom assemblys? Worst case generate a centerline on the nose pod and wing then go from there 1/2 the distance of the booms width. 1/4" either way is still flyable, just might look a bit funny if you look close.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
There was some conversation about this in the *Unofficial* FT P-38 Lightning forum. I've built a couple of them and second the recommendation to attach the booms to the tail first, then adjust the boom spacing on the front leading edge crop marks. I just eyeballed and used the 5 1/2" measurement to get close. On Version 1.1 (the plans that I have) the mark is indicated by a small green line on A31 and A22. Hope this helps.

LundiThembi

Thanks for that! The tiled plans I downloaded didn't show but it was there on the other versions.

Last edited: