NoAgendaDrones' NanoArrow

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I have built several 70% scaled Versa wings, and loved every one, so when the Mini Arrow was released I jumped on building it. I flew the Arrow with a 1300mAh 3S battery and Emax 1806 motor spinning a HQ bull nose 5x4.5 prop, and she flew great! Two days later FT put out the Micro Planes Project video, that made me remember that I have a pile of UMX electronics laying around.

I decided to make a scaled down version of the Arrow. I wanted to use DTFB so I knew that weight would likely be too much for the standard brushed motors, luckily I had purchased a micro brushless motor used in the Blade mCP X helo,
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/helicopters/helicopter-parts-15100--1/helicopter-motors/brushless-tail-motor:-mcp-x-bl-blh3904, this motor puts out a good bit more power than the brushed ones. I also had the receiver from one of the ParkZone UMX P-51Ds that I had crashed beyond repairable, the pkzu2164. Using this receiver board required some programming to unlock the external servo ports to allow channel 6 function, I found the instructions here http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/docs/spektrum/AR6410UserGuide.pdf. Along with that receiver I used two of the micro servos from the Horizon, http://www.horizonhobby.com/23-gram-performance-linear-long-throw-servo-spmsa2030l.

Now that I had electronics sorted out I had to print the plans and cut the foam. I downloaded the plans from Sponz, http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24402-FT-Mini-Arrow and opened them in Adobe. The way I have found easiest for scaling down the plans is in the printing options. To do this you select "Poster" and then adjust the "Scaling," I also like to check the "Cut Marks" box to help with cutting off the edges of each page.

PlanPrinting_zpsgotdak9u.png

Planes printed on 65lbs weight paper and then cut out and taped together.

157981_bab426a90708bafc8d7faf32de99639a.jpg

To reduce weight I removed the paper from the inside of the foam. Additionally, instead of making the full spar like the full size, I cut a single layer of foam to the same length and height as the spar plans. To do this I measured the height of the spar and the gap for the A fold, measurement A below.

I then removed the paper from both sides of the spar pieces also. When gluing this together I used the absolute minimum amount of glue that I could, only spots on the ends and one in the middle of the spars and then a few dots of hot glue on the trailing edge of the wing. I did put a good bead of glue along the seam joining the two wing pieces. I knew that with the size of this airframe that the full spar would not be needed. After getting it all built and putting the battery on it, I still needed a little nose weight so I put on a small motorcycle wheel weight under the nose. This should also give it a little protection on nose in impacts and landings.

Built, and electronics installed.

160621_e08b274201982dbc4503498ff77c97b8.jpg

Weighs in at 55.9g with E-flite 150mAh 1s 45C battery.

160623_c68f03cc55a5f4f253b1cd145e418234.jpg

Here it is in my hand and next to my DX6 radio for size comparison.

160624_cba83fe19b61365769ddde5d6bbc3f6c.jpg

The NanoArrow flew better than I expected on the maiden! Being the impatient person I am, it was a bit windy for this plane but it still handled well. In the video you can see it getting pushed around and in the third flight it got thrown into the ground. The small servos don't give a lot surface deflection so it isn't exactly a overly agile flier, but perfect for lazy flying in the yard.

Attachments

• 0303161025_HDR_zpsj4hgsae0.jpg
    0303161025_HDR_zpsj4hgsae0.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 1582552674957.png
    1582552674957.png
    861 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

flyingsquirrelRC

I have built several 70% scaled Versa wings, and loved every one, so when the Mini Arrow was released I jumped on building it. I flew the Arrow with a 1300mAh 3S battery and Emax 1806 motor spinning a HQ bull nose 5x4.5 prop, and she flew great! Two days later FT put out the Micro Planes Project video, that made me remember that I have a pile of UMX electronics laying around.

I decided to make a scaled down version of the Arrow. I wanted to use DTFB so I knew that weight would likely be too much for the standard brushed motors, luckily I had purchased a micro brushless motor used in the Blade mCP X helo,
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product...motors/brushless-tail-motor:-mcp-x-bl-blh3904, this motor puts out a good bit more power than the brushed ones. I also had the receiver from one of the ParkZone UMX P-51Ds that I had crashed beyond repairable, the pkzu2164. Using this receiver board required some programming to unlock the external servo ports to allow channel 6 function, I found the instructions here http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/docs/spektrum/AR6410UserGuide.pdf. Along with that receiver I used two of the micro servos from the Horizon, http://www.horizonhobby.com/23-gram-performance-linear-long-throw-servo-spmsa2030l.

Now that I had electronics sorted out I had to print the plans and cut the foam. I downloaded the plans from Sponz, http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24402-FT-Mini-Arrow and opened them in Adobe. The way I have found easiest for scaling down the plans is in the printing options. To do this you select "Poster" and then adjust the "Scaling," I also like to check the "Cut Marks" box to help with cutting off the edges of each page.

PlanPrinting_zpsgotdak9u.png

Planes printed on 65lbs weight paper and then cut out and taped together.
0303161025_HDR_zpsj4hgsae0.jpg

To reduce weight I removed the paper from the inside of the foam. Additionally, instead of making the full spar like the full size, I cut a single layer of foam to the same length and height as the spar plans. To do this I measured the height of the spar and the gap for the A fold, measurement A below.
0303161025_spar%20height_zpsvdirupae.jpg

I then removed the paper from both sides of the spar pieces also. When gluing this together I used the absolute minimum amount of glue that I could, only spots on the ends and one in the middle of the spars and then a few dots of hot glue on the trailing edge of the wing. I did put a good bead of glue along the seam joining the two wing pieces. I knew that with the size of this airframe that the full spar would not be needed. After getting it all built and putting the battery on it, I still needed a little nose weight so I put on a small motorcycle wheel weight under the nose. This should also give it a little protection on nose in impacts and landings.

Built, and electronics installed.
0301161842b_zpsrzbiw7aw.jpg

Weighs in at 55.9g with E-flite 150mAh 1s 45C battery.
0302161239_zps4mghryee.jpg

Here it is in my hand and next to my DX6 radio for size comparison.
0302161240_zpsyj7uucps.jpg

Screen shot from maiden flight video
received_10153509137498736_zpsq9ftlbsc.jpeg

The NanoArrow flew better than I expected on the maiden! Being the impatient person I am, it was a bit windy for this plane but it still handled well. In the video you can see it getting pushed around and in the third flight it got thrown into the ground. The small servos don't give a lot surface deflection so it isn't exactly a overly agile flier, but perfect for lazy flying in the yard.

seems to have taken the hits well

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
nice bit of property you got there!
Thanks, just moved in recently, good bit of woods is mine too.

seems to have taken the hits well
I think that the low overall mass helps with lessening the damages on impact. The nose in did nothing more than separate my nose weight, which I then added a piece of tape over to hold it better.

Nice bit of flying wing ya got there. :)
Thanks, it's a fun little time killer. I imagine it would fly just fine indoors even, with a large gym.

ItMightFly

Hey! Thats one neat plane! I'm wanting to build one myself. It looks like your photos have stopped working, or have been replaced:
Untitled.png

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Hey! Thats one neat plane! I'm wanting to build one myself. It looks like your photos have stopped working, or have been replaced:
View attachment 94350
yeah, since PB decided to start charging people for third party none of my picture links on any of the many forums I use work anymore. I will post all the pictures I have in the next post, but I don't really have the time to go back through all the post on the FT forum to upload and link the images.

On a side not, I am considering making a nano Spear, to allow a larger battery. I will certainly share if I do.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I found some foam board that I had traced out a nano arrow onto, so...I'm working on doing another one of these. This time a little more power with an Emax RS1106 4500kv motor.

Also going to use a receiver and 5g servos instead of the all in one recover with micro servos.

IMG_20200222_215934.jpg
IMG_20200222_220031.jpg

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
This is the servo setup.
IMG_20200223_124153.jpg

And this is how I did the spare, just a single thick piece of foam board.
IMG_20200223_124136.jpg

And her she is all done. I flew a few flights with 2S 500mAh pack and she flies great! Here is a quick clip I got with my phone while I flew it in my yard.
IMG_20200223_151903.jpg

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV

Build 1 info
Wing span: 430mm (no winglets)
All up weight: 55.9g (with 1S 150mAh battery)
Motor: Blade Mcpx Bl Blh3904 Brushless Tail Motor
ESC: Blade ESC
Prop: 4" ParkZone prop
Servos: A2030 Ultra-Micro Analog 2.3g
Receiver: ParkZone receiver and servo board
Flight time: (I forget from 4 years back)

Build 2 info
Wing span: 495mm (with winglets and 50mm center section added)
All up weight: 116g (with 2S 500mAh battery)
Motor: Emax RS1106 4500kv
ESC: Strix 12A w/ 5V2A bec
Prop: Gemfan 3035
Servos: Emax ES9051
Receiver: 2.4G 4CH Mini Frsky D8 Receiver
Flight time: over 6mins on 2S 500mAh battery

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Awesome - I really need to get some of those 1106 motors and do some mini projects!
I highly suggest the FT Dart, and the associated power pack. That's how I got my 1106 motors. The Dart is a fun little plane, unfortunately mine ended up stuck about 90ft up in a tree and despite being "waterproof" foam board, it doesn't stand a chance against a few good rain storms. Luckily it eventually fell because I had a F411-wing FC and FPV gear in it too.