Noob question on installing servos

Octavius

The Spitfire build is coming along nicely.

I'm up to the point of gluing in the servos (from the Spitfire kit, Altitude Hobbies) on the wing.

Unfortunately, the Linkage Stoppers (D1.8mm, from HobbyKing) are too large to fit the holes in the plastic clevis (if that is the right term).

These holes are also too small for the 0.045" piano wire I got from Amazon.

Should I just go ahead and try and enlarge a hole (drill it out, perhaps). I'm thinking of the 2nd hole, counting from the inside towards the outside.

I just ordered some control horns from flitest. Do these also require the Linkage Stoppers?

Appreciate any advice.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I used to use a thick wire for my control links and I always used my Exacto Knife to bore out the holes in the plastic. I went with the third to last hole so I wouldn't make the plastic too thin. I think I only broke one servo arm from boring the hole bigger, but that was after a hard crash. It was the crash plus the bigger hole that broke it.

tramsgar

yep just put the tip of a fresh sharp scalpel blade in that hole and turn it a few rounds. than do the same from the other end. be very careful as it's easy to remove too much. you want press fit, no slop.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
You just cut a piece of the wire you're going to use and then use it just like you would a drill bit. Perfect fit every time.

Octavius

Thanks for the responses!
Sometimes I kinda wonder what the hell I'm doing so it's nice to know I'm not alone here!
Cheers!

PS. The linkage stoppers provide for a fine adjustment of the length of the push rod but surely you only need one and not two, right? If so, at which end would you put the linkage stopper - on the servo arm or on the control arm?

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks for the responses!
Sometimes I kinda wonder what the hell I'm doing so it's nice to know I'm not alone here!
Cheers!

PS. The linkage stoppers provide for a fine adjustment of the length of the push rod but surely you only need one and not two, right? If so, at which end would you put the linkage stopper - on the servo arm or on the control arm?
Yes only one is necessary and what end is up to you. I would suggest on the spit to put them on the ailerons since they will be more accessible there than buried in the wing. On the tail feathers, put them on whichever end you can get to better.