noob transmitter questions

lawdog

Hi All

I am in the process of getting into the hobby and have researched several transmitters. I would very much appreciate some feedback from the great people who make up this forum.

I do not have a lot of cash so I do not want to make a mistake. I am a beginner so I plan on using 3-4 channels now but it seems wise to buy something that will not be obsolete after a short while. Spectrum radios and other brands like it are a little pricey for me and perhaps overkill for flying a FT foamie.

First I looked at an Orange Tx initially. It had many good reviews and it had many compatible small, cheap orange rx's available. I guess the only problem is that HK is the only seller and they do not have them available in the US warehouse. HK wants approx 30 bucks to ship it from China which can take up to a month on top of the 65.00 to purchase it. I then have to buy a receiver.

At that cost I looked at the Turnigy 9x. Its available in the US warehouse and comes with an 8 channel rx. With shipping the 9x has 3 more channels and is cheaper than the orange Tx/Rx combo. The downside I guess is that there are no 3-4 channel rx available. I guess I could use the stock 8 ch rx but that seems big for an FT Flyer. I saw that many people modify the radio but it takes a lot of technical know how to modify it which I do not have ( i really do not want to take the case apart).

I then looked at the Flysky version of the 9x. It appears (although I am not certain), to require less modification. Apparently you can actually remove the module and purchase a separate Orange module that will work with orange rx's. Again downside is the cost. The radio itself is more as is the module and receivers

What do you all recommend?

Thanks

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Here is another option: the FlySky FS-T6. It's a 6 channel transmitter that holds settings for 20 models. Additional receivers can be purchased for around $11.20. Now, keep in mind, this transmitter will not work with the OrangeRx receivers, and does not have a removable module, but the it works very well, and you can't beat the price. The best price I have seen is at HobbyPartz.

There is currently a 15% off coupon code posted on their web site (I just picked up some Dynam ESCs). This will bring the price of the transmitter down to about $47. Add an extra 6 channel receiver for around $9.52 (when you use the 15% off coupon) and that brings your total to approximately $56.52. Wait, it gets even better. Right now HobbyPartz is offering free shipping for purchases over $50, so your shipping will be free.

If you decide to go with the FlySky 9X, from HobbyPartz, with the coupon, it will cost you around $77 shipped. And just so you know, FlySky makes the Turnigy 9x. It's the same transmitter, just different brand stamped on it.

P.S. The coupon expires tomorrow: HOBBYPARTZ15

Here are the links, if you want to check it out:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-r6b-receiver.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r9b-9channel-radio.html

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
The 3ch surface Rx for the GT3B is bindable to the Turnigy 9X, and will work with the first three channels of the radio, being aileron, elevator and throttle.

You can get them here for $8.99 and that's with free postage.

Another option you can have if you like modifications is the Walkera Devo 7E which you can also get from Banggood (arbeit without a receiver) for just $59.99 and free delivery. This radio as is isn't very compatible, but just installing a new free software called Deviation, which there are many videos that show you how easy it is and a very extensive group on RCGroups about the software will make it compatible with DSM2 and DSMX amongst many others, allowing you to use it with all the typical BNF's over there in States, as well as OrangeRX, LemonRX, original Spektrum, etc. Also you can add a small transmitter module inside which costs about $11 around (or you can harvest it from a V911/V9x9 helicopter/quad transmitter) making it fully compatible also with all the FlySky receivers, about half of the WLToys stuff, Hubsan, etc, and adding another module from the V2x2 range makes it compatible with the rest of the WLToys stuff, amongst others. The radio has telemetry (hence the "E" in the model name), 30 model memories and many other features including all your mixes, rates, expos and everything else, including adding 2 more switches and using the trims as channels can turn this 7 channel radio into up to a 12 channel radio. People say that the only drawback is the limited range because it transmits at a very low power setting, but just opening it up and bridging a single capacitor turns it into a full range radio It will work off a 2S LiPo, a 3S LiPo, NiMH's, whatever you throw at it really... It is completely programmable via the screen and keypad or you can make adjustments via your computer using a simulation software to see just how those adjustments act, or you can even just install the settings from a particular plane that someone else has sent you in a small .ini file. For the price I think it's probably the best option out there right now, yes you have to do a little upgrading, but show me a Turnigy 9X which hasn't been upgraded!

Last edited: