Help! Nose gear help

Keno

I may be an Old, Retired Fart.... But I understand that I SHOULD have jumped on to that Wagon in the early 80's. I missed a LOT of valuable learning about CAD, that would have really helped me now.
I'm grateful that there's Guys like You out there...
I may ask for a favor every now and then!! :p I promise I won't try to be annoying.

If I can help I will do so. My CAD skills are at a learning stage, every day a new adventure. I have not ventured into 3D. If I can learn I assure you can also and there are free programs available. I use Punch Via CAD to learn and maybe I will move up to more professional CAD programs in the future. I too am retired military and thank you for your service. Fly happy.

d8veh

Elite member
You don't need a separate servo to steer the nose-wheel on these sorts of planes. Use a double (180deg) arm on the rudder servo and send a separate push-rod forward through a tube to steer the nose-wheel so that it turns with the rudder. All the steerable nose-wheels that I've used have worked like that. Example here:
http://www.amaflightschool.org/diy/trimming-ground-right-thrust-landing-altitude-adjustment

You don't need a steerable nose-wheel on FT type planes. i doubt that one will help you. The main advantage from them is that you get more reliable steering when you taxi out to and from the runway, but many clubs don't allow taxiing.

You will soon learn that if you want a reliable plane, you need to keep everything as simple as possible. Adding extra servos and/or mechanisms will increase the chance of something going wrong. When you have a beautiful scale plane that you want to look and behave like the full-size one, all these sort of extras are worthwhile, but for a normal fun-fly plane, they're only going to cause you to crash sooner or later.

Remember also that each additional servo, puts an additional burden on the ESCs 5v supply. At 3S, many recommend only 4 servos, and at 4S, only 3. These are the common ESCs that most guys here use. You can get more 5v power by using a separate UBEC or by choosing an appropriate ESC. Either way, it will most likely be more expensive.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Confirmed, Steering was not needed. I just used a platform rubber band strapped gear... It works well. If the landing is gentle... it will be fine and it works for taxiing, but under heavy load it gives, both in the strut and the rubber band. The removable nose already provides an anchor point.

the 180 arm is how I have done steering too. I have also done one-hole-in as well... when they are on the same side of the servo. (both in the rear)
Revised Nose Gear Pic.PNG

The Removeable nose is for wing removal. The perk is anchor points.