Novice pilot and builder with a "One of" RC airplane concept.

Equi Asini

I was inspired by one of Flight Test's videos which showed a RC plane going backwards due to strong headwinds. My imagination got the best of me and I came up with what I think is a one of a kind RC airplane. If it works like I think it might; this bird will stop dead in the air and then take off going backwards. I looked everywhere and didn't see anything like my idea. If anyone can make my idea fly the way I intend it to, the Flight Test gang can do it. If it's a fool's errand, Flight Test will know that too. It's okay to call me a dummy or stupid.....I've got thick skin. I'd love to see your comments. I'm an old man Flight Test; humor me and let me know what you think.
FOR-REV AIRPLANE CONCEPT.jpg

CappyAmeric

Elite member
If it is airborne simply by nature of lighter than air gas, it is a blimp, or balloon, not an airplane.

”Flying backwards in a headwind” is actually a relative thing - the airplane’s airfoil is not flying backwards - it is only backward in relationship to the ground. Once airborne, all aircraft that are not tethered to the ground, are part of the moving airmass and turning into the wind or downwind has no effect on airspeed.

Flyingshark

Master member
That looks interesting on paper, but I doubt you could get it light enough to fly well. The canisters and compressor for the CO2 would be pretty heavy. I would guess the deflated wing might flap around a lot in the airstream as well, so maybe that's not the best choice aerodynamically.

Since those props are so small in relation to the wing area, I don't think there would be enough blown airflow to provide lift while stationary, so it would also drop like a rock while transitioning. If you'd like a plane that can fly like a brick, there are far cheaper and simpler ways of building one. :)

Overall, it doesn't seem very practical. I think a three-surface (canard, flat-plate wing, elevator) plane with thrust vectoring, a stabilization board and some programming might be able to fly backward though.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if your flying on wings, your going to need the CG to be in front of the NP [stability issues], which means you would need to be able to move the CG or NP when changing directions.

Given the general shape you have there, it is unlikely that you would have a lighter then air craft, so I wouldn't worry about the 'gas' wing thing.

If you wanted to make something like this work, I think changing the NP by folding/moving some airfoils would likely be the solution [unless you wanted to put the battery on some sort of movable tray to adjust the CG around]

perhapse even just some folding candard/elevetors far away from the CG, would be enough to do the needed NP movement.. then you could put the wing centered at the CG and even put reversible motors there.

Equi Asini

if your flying on wings, your going to need the CG to be in front of the NP [stability issues], which means you would need to be able to move the CG or NP when changing directions.

Given the general shape you have there, it is unlikely that you would have a lighter then air craft, so I wouldn't worry about the 'gas' wing thing.

If you wanted to make something like this work, I think changing the NP by folding/moving some airfoils would likely be the solution [unless you wanted to put the battery on some sort of movable tray to adjust the CG around]

perhapse even just some folding candard/elevetors far away from the CG, would be enough to do the needed NP movement.. then you could put the wing centered at the CG and even put reversible motors there.

Lol.....CG! That's kinda important. My first forum posting nets mild embarrassment....I have found a new hobby well suited to these Covid days and I look forward to learning new things. You took the time to look and explain. I appreciate that. Thanks Jason.

Equi Asini

That looks interesting on paper, but I doubt you could get it light enough to fly well. The canisters and compressor for the CO2 would be pretty heavy. I would guess the deflated wing might flap around a lot in the airstream as well, so maybe that's not the best choice aerodynamically.

Since those props are so small in relation to the wing area, I don't think there would be enough blown airflow to provide lift while stationary, so it would also drop like a rock while transitioning. If you'd like a plane that can fly like a brick, there are far cheaper and simpler ways of building one. :)

Overall, it doesn't seem very practical. I think a three-surface (canard, flat-plate wing, elevator) plane with thrust vectoring, a stabilization board and some programming might be able to fly backward though.
Thank you for looking and taking the time to reply. I have a lot to learn. Even at my advanced age I never get tired of learning.

Equi Asini

If it is airborne simply by nature of lighter than air gas, it is a blimp, or balloon, not an airplane.

”Flying backwards in a headwind” is actually a relative thing - the airplane’s airfoil is not flying backwards - it is only backward in relationship to the ground. Once airborne, all aircraft that are not tethered to the ground, are part of the moving airmass and turning into the wind or downwind has no effect on airspeed.
Cappy.....don't give up on me yet. I'm taking notes. Thanks for the comments.

Piotrsko

Master member
You know there's two ways to get CG ahead or behind NP (actual term is COP) The less obvious way is to have a huge amount of control force. Perhaps a tandem wing design like the quickie or pou de ceil with 50% highpoint symmetrical airfiols and the cg centered between the wings. Can you get an ESC that does full power reverse? I do know that there have been 50% round undercanmbered airfoils and rudders can be optional and wingerons are a thing. Maybe even a joined wing platform

Paracodespoder

Elite member
There is an old flitetest video, a recap of a flying event in the big dome, in which there is somebody flying a 3D profile plane that he could reverse and fly backwards mid-air. So it can be done, but with difficulty.

L Edge

Master member
It is called 4D flying.
How it works is the motor has a hallow shaft with a servo in the back. The prop is a variable from a plus angle to negative angle and is hooked to the servo running thru the hollow shaft. You set the throttle to a 2 mode system like a heli so when it is mode 2- 50% throttle is zero pitch of the blade and 100% is positive. If the throttle is put to zero, it is negative pitch. YOU SET MOTOR TO FIXED rpm.

That way, you can go forward or backwards in flight. I have RealFlight 6 sim and if you find
FlatoutExtra 300S with V pitch in the list of aircrafts, try 4D. (Don't know about other revisions.)
Change power to 150% make it a lot easier.

Last edited:

Equi Asini

It is called 4D flying.
How it works is the motor has a hallow shaft with a servo in the back. The prop is a variable from a plus angle to negative angle and is hooked to the servo running thru the hollow shaft. You set the throttle to a 2 mode system like a heli so when it is mode 2- 50% throttle is zero pitch of the blade and 100% is positive. If the throttle is put to zero, it is negative pitch. YOU SET MOTOR TO FIXED rpm.

That way, you can go forward or backwards in flight. I have RealFlight 6 sim and if you find
FlatoutExtra 300S with V pitch in the list of aircrafts, try 4D. (Don't know about other revisions.)
Change power to 150% make it a lot easier.

Unbelievable! That was a spectacular performance. Thank you.

Piotrsko

Master member
Well now that @L Edge and @Paracodespoder mentioned it, there was a guy running a heli swash plate with full +/- cyclic here on FT couple of years back that did insane aerobatics except his throttle moved the cyclic negative also. Not sure if it was the same guy

Last edited: