Old balsa glow Tiger Moth restoration

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I also like the transparent look. I've been drooling over this edge from e-flite for a while now.

EFL2600_a11.jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Tonight's update:

I've been cutting balsa for the top wing. I can't glue it in yet though, as Sheena is still removing the original tissue covering. I won't add any pics, as there isn't enough progress to bother yet.

Banshee

And if I never hear the words dope and tissue in the same sentence again, I'll die happy! Awful stuff!

Banshee

One wing was covered in a film and the rest of the plane is done with tissue and dope. The film came off really easily. The tissue doesn't want to come off, no matter what we use.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Nah - how about an Addy instead?

View attachment 5094

Might there be a little local preference there :rolleyes: Those are sweet planes. I have a buddy that has the e-flite cap 232 and I love that plane. I want the edge BAAAAAAD. It's only about 32" so it's easy to transport plus it uses electronics I already have so it will be cheap one of these days. I like the addiction planes a lot too though, there may be one in my future. I'm having to decide between all of my hobbies and planes are currently losing out. I just rebuilt my Blade 400 again.

Back on topic, that's pretty weird to have two different types of covering. I've never been up close to a doped plane. Is it something you can sand off? Does it tear up the wood really bad when it comes off?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The bottom wing was someone else's repair job - an old one, but not quite tissue and dope old.

The tissue is strongly stuck on - I'm curious about how they got it off the bottom wing, unless they just re-built it.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, was hoping to get a bite from glydr...

I couldn't find the right thickness balsa (~2mm) so I used 3mm and sanded each piece to correct thickness. Accidentally sanded my fingers a bit too...

con244

One wing was covered in a film and the rest of the plane is done with tissue and dope. The film came off really easily. The tissue doesn't want to come off, no matter what we use.
Banshee, I seem to remember from the old days that dope had a thinner that you could use to soften the stuff that doesn't want to come off. Not sure what it was but maybe try acetone? Another thing you could try is to apply more dope and then when it goes soft just wipe it off. I personally used to like the smell of that stuff, probably why I didn't have enough brain cells left to study medicine.;)
Con

glydr

How many letters do we ge
I personally used to like the smell of that stuff, probably why I didn't have enough brain cells left to study medicine.;)
Con

I know what you mean. Kinda made it a bit more fun when you go to the counter of the hobby shop and whisper;

"Psst - I need to buy some dope"

;)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
You know, I've been able to rebuild my heli's a lot of times and they still fly exactly the way they did when they were new. How many people can say that about their airplanes? I know my foam planes that have been crashed never fly quite the same again. They are always a little heavier, or just a little different. My balsa planes not so much, those repairs seem to be a bit more precise.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Too true AK. You can get a heli as good as (if not better than) when you flew it last and crashed.

Though I must admit frustration at swapping out bits here and there in order to find that niggly vibration which ended up being (for instance) a slightly bent tail rotor shaft. Last one for me was the feathering shaft despite the blades not meeting anything but air!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
OOOOOhh I hate that. I was having a tail vibration for the longest time. Finally got rid of that and my gyro started finally working right. I had a feathering shaft go from a hard landing, I think the stock 3mm shaft is weak on the blade 400, I just read that the 450 head comes with a 4mm shaft. I would upgrade but I already spent the money on all the aluminum parts for the one I've got.

Not to say it's impossible to repair foam nicely, but my personal planes never are the same again. I'm a mechanic by trade so changing parts and tuning metal is much easier for me than the arts and crafts stuff like balsa repair and foam. I like it but it's not really my forte.