Old balsa glow Tiger Moth restoration

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I do find atrophy of foam planes to be proportional to the number and severity of crashes they endure and the quality of repairs. I can see the attraction of the easy swaps though

Banshee

You're game Glydr!!

I grew up with dope being used regularly too. Probably explains me being the way I am.... My dad is a model builder/flyer. I've been shaving the old stuff off with a scalpel. And I've not injured myself at all. Unlike my hubby. He mistook his finger for a bit of balsa and carved it up nicely. Now just the sweat and tears left to put in.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, foam feels more like flesh...

In spite of my injury, there's a bit of progress. I've still not finished the top wing, but I've started gluing it back together.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Cool. This thing is going to be finished soon at this rate.

I thought you would be out flying on a nice day like this. I'm considering putting a nutball or little quad up and down the street shortly.

:)

I should make a build race with you. Your tiggie versus my guppy glider which has been going for about 3 years now.

THough I need to finish the mustang first.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm very keen for some flying today. Just hollowed out the Corsair canopy a little to fit a 1300 3s. Perfect CG. You up for flying today?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, the glue is drying on the last pieces of the top wing. I removed the covering using a scalpel and liberal application of acetone. I'm not convinced the acetone helped that much except to moisten the stuff a little so it peeled rather than chipped. I've still got to do a little sanding and finishing before the covering film goes on, but it's pretty minor.

Next job is the bottom wing. There's not much damage but the glue has come unstuck in a few spots. I've been tossing up whether to reinforce the wings with cf, but if I get the cables right, I won't need to, will I?