Old Lipos help!

Trippey

I've got a few brand new never used lipos I bought about 4 years back, I was wondering if I can use these batteries safely or am I better off trashing them and getting new ones. They are not puffy and they look just like they did right after I bought them.

Thanks for the help!

Mustang7302

Check the voltage on them. If they're above 3.2V per cell, it should be fine to charge and use them. If they're less than 3.0V per cell, look up a safe way to discard them and buy some new ones.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Batteries are like food - better to use when new.
But stored in perfect invironment - they can be used for a long time.
I have several LiPos more than 4 years that i use but i think that they have lost some capacity.
You should at least check and try to use them.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
If I were you, I would try to use them. But either keep an eye on them while you charge them, or use a LiPo safe bag. If you just watch them, watch that they don't puff during the charge. Your batteries may not hold a charge as long as they did when they were new, but should work fine. So, instead of a 15minute flight, you may only get 10-12 minutes, but that's still worth using instead of spending more money. Unless the voltage dropped too low during storage. But your charger will yell at you if the batteries are no longer any good. Well, depending on the charger.