One more question about storing lipos, how long can they be stored for? Help

Spence

Hi all, I recently put my 3 turnigy 1300 3s lipos in storage mode with my charger. Not every cell was 100% even, like I mean most were 3.80v per cell, and some were 3.81v, or some were 3.79v-3.80v. Is that ok? Also if they are stored right, can they be stored for a while?

Thanks,
Spence

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
If each cell is within .1 you're fine. I don't know that there is a definitive limit on storage but your lipo will slowly lose charge over time to the point where it will eventually hit 0v.

Any charge held over time will also slowly degrade the integrity of the cells. The ideal storage charge voltage is 3.8v per cell because it gives the battery enough juice to discharge on its own over time without you having to check it too often, but it also does less damage to the battery than if fully charged. I've heard of others storing lipos at 3.8v for a few years without issue but I'd check them every 12 months to make sure you haven't dropped too far. The amount of time you can go before needing to add more juice will vary depending on the size of your lipo. Smaller capacity = less time.

Spence

Thanks, just been having a bunch of rainy days, not good to fly my dtfb planes. Thats why I wanted to get a hobbyking nutball that is made of EPP. Light, water resistant, and supposedly loads of fun. Also very easy to fly slow. But what sucks is, well they don't sell it in the U.S warehouse, so you basically have to pay more money if you want it to get here is a reasonable amount of time.

JLT_GTI

If they are at storage levels (arround 50% , is not estrictly precise, can be 40 to 60%) they can last a lot long.. meaning more than a year