One Year Anniversary Flying Quads.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So today is the one year anniversary for me and flying multi rotors. I will over the next week add a bunch of stuff in this thread showing my progress. If I can figure out a way to make a video that will upload properly and not have you tube make it look like a Nintendo movie I will cob some footage together as well.

First and foremost I knew the day I decided to get into it I would be fighting what I call "Bill's Law". What is Bills Law you might ask? Well by definition; Bill's Law specifically states that it covers any and all things Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or never knew or learned to begin with and that all of those things can and WILL happen to Bill.

BTW Hi!!! I'm Bill.

That all out in the open I will start with todays happenings to celebrate my first year of flight with quad copters. I woke up this morning to a beautiful and perfect flying day. Mid 70's and sunny with winds under 5mph and a quad sitting on my bench waiting to be tested on a course after a few days of re-tuning via Skitzo's method from his latest video to see if I can get it to fly even better then I already had it.

With gear all packed and ready to go I decided since it was just after noon when I was ready to go I would walk down to the local park for todays flights. On the way and very close to the field is a little summer only diner that makes awesome burgers so I went there first and had a good meal. Once I was done it was out the door and a short cut thru a parking lot and I was where I like to fly on the soccer field in our little park.

Spent time setting up a nice little course that starts at the bench near the sideline and the first flag goes on the southern corner of the east side goalie box. Around behind the goal to the north east corner where the second flag was set. From there its a sharp turn back onto the field to the center of the goalie box where a penalty kick would be done and making it a hair pin turn to head back to the far sideline where the third flag would be placed. Again it is a sharp turn back towards the center of the field where I set up a gate on the eastern most part of the mid field circle where the games start. Once thru the gate its a short dash nearly to the sideline area and a 90 degree turn back to the start.

With that done I set up my goggles and put a battery on the quad for the test flight to see what the video signals would be like and if any part of the course had to be altered for bad signals. After the first lap I found my goggles were set to bright from last evenings flights so I landed and adjusted them. On the first lap I noticed some interference near the gate and that it may have to be moved a bit. Once back in the air another round was made and I found that the gate had to be moved so I would make another pass to see where it would be best placed. I came back past the start, around the first flag, behind the goal and when I hit the corner to make the turn at the second flag Bills Law strikes and the quad gently rolls over out of control and crashes.

Its eems that what I thought was a loose motor mounting screw for which I removed and re-loctited the evening before was in fact a cracked bottom motor mount that had gone un noticed. Needles to say the stress of hard turns finished the fracture and the motor was left spinning free in mid air. I also lost video so I am not sure what other damage has occurred just yet as I have not begun repairs. I will know more later today and will add to another post soon.

motormount1.jpg Motormount2.jpg

I will reserve a few sections after this for updates then after that anyone wishing to laugh or poke fun at my endeavor to fly may do so freely and happily.