Onix 110 Frame (micro swift, top mount bat, pythagorean and more)

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
ElevenQuad Onix 110 Frame (micro swift, top mount bat, pythagorean and more)

Hi All,

After seeing FliteTest videos about Gremlins I have been inspired and pull the trigger to design my first micro quad :)

This is a 110 class frame designed for 2.3" - 2.5" props. In addition to standard 1104-1106 motors, it is compatible with Emax BabyHawk/FT Gremlin and Blade Torrent 110 components.

Features :
  • 111 mm motor to motor, 3 mm bottom plate
  • 2.3" or 2.5" props
  • 1104 to 1106 motors
  • Compatible with Emax RS1104 motors and all others Emax BabyHawk components
  • Compatible with Blade Torrent 110 components
  • Same geometry than ImpulseRC Alien frame (pythagorean 3:4:5)
  • Runcam Micro Swift
  • Top mount battery !!!
  • Cam angle from 0 to 90 °
  • Estimated at 15.6g of carbon (without optional back plate)
  • Optional 0.5g back plate to make the frame stronger
  • 3 very light M3 standoffs thanks to outer diameter of 4mm
  • 22mm long standoffs, enough to mount 3 stack plates inside (fc, esc, vtx, rx, osd...)
  • Plenty of spaces on arms to mount individual ESC such as EMAX 6A/12A Bullet
  • Support 20x20mm mounting holes flight controller (soon: 3D printed adapters for other formats)
  • Flight controller position can be adjusted back and forth to improve gyro position
  • Top plate is big enough to support 61mm long battery
  • ATX03 or VTX03 mounted inside with display visible on top
  • Compatible with FrSky XM/XM+ receivers
  • Easy access to VTX channel button and RX bind button
  • VTX and RX can be secured with zip ties

onix_front_el_1.0.png

onix_home_el_1.0.png

onix_right_el_1.0.png

onix_top_el_1.0.png

onix_back_1.0.png

onix_bottom_1.0.png

onix_home_1.0.png

onix_drawing_1.0.png

Current version : 1.0

Next steps :
Waiting validation from Armattan
Design a new frame based on this one but much lighter (2mm bottom plate)

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looks great! I like the 'nubby' little hands. :)

What software are you using for design/modeling/rendering?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That's a sharp little frame. I like how the front incorporates not only support but also protection for the fragile cameras. Most of these tiny frames do not do that.

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
Looks great! I like the 'nubby' little hands. :)

What software are you using for design/modeling/rendering?

When I first designed these motor plates, I did not like them. However, the more I look the more I love them :D

All 3D rendering and drawing are done using Fusion 360. I really recommend it. It might sounds a bit complex at first but in reality it is very easy to learn.

Cool :)

That's a sharp little frame. I like how the front incorporates not only support but also protection for the fragile cameras. Most of these tiny frames do not do that.
Exactly one of the problem I have with those tiny frames. I also hope this will limit the grass on lens. Almost every time I land (read crash) on grass I have to clean the lens, boring!

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
I did some simulations and measurements to find the sweet spot of standoffs/screws. Fusion 360 is very close to reality!

M3 Nylon standoffs are ok for this size of quad but too big due to hex shape. And M3 Nylon screws are not strong enough. I was expecting a good compromise with M2.5 standoffs and screws but in fact it is one of the heaviest setup!

Winner is M3 standoff aluminum with 4mm outer diameter paired with aluminum screws, very impressive how light this setup is. I am currently in discussion with Armattan to get a bulk and evaluate them.

I hesitate between 6mm or 8mm screw length but 8mm is safer with 3mm bottom plate.

(note that M3 holes will reduce a bit the weight of the frame which is currently M2.5, which makes the M3 OD4 standoffs an even better choice!)

standoff_screw_weight.png

If someone would like to have some simulation, please just ask me ;)

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Nice design. What is the projected weight of the frame with the hardware?

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
Last design I have is at 15.8g of carbon + 2.2g of hardware = 18g. Then, to make it more solid you can add the back plate which is 0.5g. For comparison, Firer110 is at 19.5g (with 2.5mm bottom plate).

I am thinking of making a lighter version with 2mm bottom plate, bit wider arm and why not 1mm top and back plate.

Then it can go down to around 12g of carbon, I think...

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I would tend to agree that a 3mm unibody may be overkill. Even if this thing is 120g when all up, it's not likely going to be carrying enough momentum to break arms.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Your design makes me wonder if anyone has done their drone to look like a skull and crossbones. Yours looks part way there already.

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
I would tend to agree that a 3mm unibody may be overkill. Even if this thing is 120g when all up, it's not likely going to be carrying enough momentum to break arms.
I will do a lighter version based on this one definitely. The intention behind this one is to be very strong (maybe too, will see).

Your design makes me wonder if anyone has done their drone to look like a skull and crossbones. Yours looks part way there already.

haha that was not my intention, interesting :D . I see few like skull but can not remember one specially.

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
New version \o/

Check first page for more details and pictures

What's new :
  • Redesigned the back plate
  • Increased the diameter of camera plate and simplified the fixation with top plate
  • Move RX to the back, vertically
  • Reduce weight down to 15.6g (without the back plate)
  • Make some parts a bit more robust
  • Add brand name to the title of this page (do not ask where this name come from, I don't know )
  • ... and send files to Armattan!

onix_front_el_1.0.png

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Incredibly NICE lookin frame! How about some aluminum flat-head (countersunk) allen screws for the top.

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
I am very happy you like it :eek:

I did think about flat head screws and that would be very sweet but I think it will make some part too fragile. I will give a try to see...

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
I did a try last night, chamfered bottom plate, -1.6g, total 14g without back plates (+0.5g with them) !!! But it will be pricey, maybe a "pro" version/upgrade, will see...

I also tried 2mm bottom plate with wider arms, it is a bit ligther than this version but not that much. I am convinced that narrow arms at this scale are very important, so I will not propose it for now.

onix_bottom_chamfer_1.0.png

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
It is quite hard to source flat head M3 aluminum screws and I suspect it could make the top plate a bit too fragile at some places. So I went back to weight simulation and my sheet and found an interesting compromise : M2 standoffs + M2x8 flat head screws for a total of 2g (0.2g less than with aluminum standoffs and screws).

Armattan did not validate the pieces yet (should be good on Monday) so I have added new bottom and top plates with chamfered holes to give a try.

onix_pro_home_1.3.png

What do you think?

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
That is by far the best 110 size frame I've seen yet! Incredible design work! icon14.png :cool:

So, do you think it will accept Torrent and Babyhawk prop guards if someone wanted to use them?