Onshape question

RAGII

I have a question on how to make a flat backed screw pocket on an angled body.

I have drawn up a power supply enclosure for my MPCNC. I have switches for the main controller power, my laser feed, and my needle cutter feed. I created the face plate at a 30 degree angle that will get screwed to the main body horizontally. I would like to have a pocket or flat surface in the face plate for the screw, just not sure how to do this.

This is my assembly

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5133cc86571bd0770502d05e/w/0171b212fbddfef8fad70efa/e/951e385922a2ee871016f47b

Thanks,

Rob

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Like this?

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 2.25.12 PM.png

Here's my copy of your project:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9...13a4999936d3fbcc05/e/ffba263d745c7966bc45678e

What I did was create two new sketches and features.

Sketch 5 I created on your "Plane 4" and then "used" the existing hole in the back of the face. I then extruded it as a remove with two end positions both "through all" to make sure it went all the way through the face.

Next I created Sketch 6 again using "Plane 4" and "used" the exit hole of that previous extrusion. Then drew another circle around it slightly larger which I extruded as a remove to create the pocket.

This assuming that "Plane 4" is a vertical plane - which it appears to be.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
If Plane 4 didn't exist or wasn't (isn't?) parallel with the front plane then what I'd do is create a new plane offset from the front plane to where you need it (kind of in the middle of the panel.)

RAGII

Thanks Jason, that really helped out. I have zero 3D modeling experience so I am trying to learn on the fly. Started on Onshape based on your comments in the needle cutter thread. I will say with a few of the videos out there and some experimentation I am finding doing some simple models Onshape is easy to learn.

Now I am hoping that I can get my own 3D printer at the end of the year so I do not need to work around the schedule of our work 3D printer. I am holding out for an original Prusa. I will need to decide if I want the MK2S or go with the new MK3.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I recommend watching the youtube channel "Maker's Muse". he has some great CAD for beginners videos.

RAGII

Another question

In a sketch what is the difference between blue and black lines?

I was trying to add a chamfer to the edge of my extrusion and it will not remove the material (shows the chamfer line though). In my other sketch in the part it works fine (no blue lines in that sketch).

Onshape.JPG

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Black lines indicate that they are fully constrained - they have enough dimensions on them that they're 100% defined. Blue lines are not fully constrained and have at least one dimension that isn't defined.

Makers Muse has some great videos...but he hasn't touched on Onshape in awhile :( Lately he seems to be mostly be using Fusion360.

Onshape has a set of good tutorials/videos themselves as well: https://www.onshape.com/learn/learn-cad

The "Sketching Basics" goes into the blue/black thing.

One thing to watch for with their tutorials though is that some of the "tests" are no longer correct. Due to internal changes in onshape the calculations to get the right answers have changed. If you search the onshape support forums though there's a link to a google doc with updated answers.