OrangeRX R910

DDSFlyer

Hey all,
I recently obtained an OrangeRX R910 9 channel full range receiver. I have only used 6 channel Rx's as I had a Dx6i but now I've got a DX8 and am wondering, what is the benefit of this receiver over the OrangeRX R615's or other 6 channel Rx's I have been using?
What I know (not much): it says full range. so does that mean it has a longer range than the R615's I've been using? How far?
Also, I don't comprehend the S.Bus stuff? I believe it has a satellite port on it. So that means I can get the satellite Rx from Orange Rx and increase my range correct? How does that work?
Just a bunch of noob questions about Rx's that I'd thought I'd post about to see what the smart people say.

Also, think this is a good Rx for my new hexacopter build?

DDSFlyer

Alright I've started my hexacopter build now and am trying to figure out how to hook up this Rx to the Kk2.1 board, any suggestions? I don't really know how to setup the channels 1-9 to whatever corresponding controls? Do I do this on my DX8 or somehow program the Rx?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
This might help: 1 throttle, 2 aileron, 3 elevator, 4 rudder, 5 gear/Aux.

Yes, it will be by placing the plugs in their respective ports. The KK 2 has them clearly marked on the underside.

DDSFlyer

Thanks, I was checking a ar400 I had lying around and I guess I was just reading it backwards. By your list it counts from Bind ->upwards...for some reason I was counting down. Will connect it all up and see how it al works out.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Also, I don't comprehend the S.Bus stuff?

S.Bus is a digital bus for controlling servos. So instead of having a single connection to each servo, you have all the servos running off of the same connection. It is kind of like Ethernet for servos. The advantage is that you can run lots of servos without having to have a bunch of wires running up to your receiver. The disadvantage is that you have to use S.Bus compatible servos, which are more expensive; you have to pre-program the servos with what channel they are on, which requires a programmer that you have to buy; and you have to have additional hardware like S.Bus splitters every time you want to make a Y in your cable run. In short, S.Bus might be advantageous if you have a model with a LOT of servos, such as if you have more than 8 channels, S.Bus can get you up to 16 channels. Or if you have a very large model where the servos are far away from each other, S.Bus can allow you to run a single cable down the fuselage and then branch out from there to your servos. But for most hobby size models, an 8 channel receiver with standard servos will be more than adequate.

One of the things about S.Bus that I have yet to see anybody address is the fact that all the servos share the same power and ground lines. A standard servo lead can easily handle the 1-3 amps that a typical servo might draw. But if you have an S.Bus architecture with up to 16 servos, then you might theoretically be pulling something like 10-20 amps at any given time (especially if they are digital servos) which I would think would be too much for a standard servo lead. But all the S.Bus hardware I have seen seems to be based on standard servo-lead thickness of wires. Surely this is something that Futaba has thought of, but I haven't seen it addressed.

Last edited:

DDSFlyer

S.Bus is a digital bus for controlling servos. So instead of having a single connection to each servo, you have all the servos running off of the same connection. It is kind of like Ethernet for servos. The advantage is that you can run lots of servos without having to have a bunch of wires running up to your receiver. The disadvantage is that you have to use S.Bus compatible servos, which are more expensive; you have to pre-program the servos with what channel they are on, which requires a programmer that you have to buy; and you have to have additional hardware like S.Bus splitters every time you want to make a Y in your cable run. In short, S.Bus might be advantageous if you have a model with a LOT of servos, such as if you have more than 8 channels, S.Bus can get you up to 16 channels. Or if you have a very large model where the servos are far away from each other, S.Bus can allow you to run a single cable down the fuselage and then branch out from there to your servos. But for most hobby size models, an 8 channel receiver with standard servos will be more than adequate.

One of the things about S.Bus that I have yet to see anybody address is the fact that all the servos share the same power and ground lines. A standard servo lead can easily handle the 1-3 amps that a typical servo might draw. But if you have an S.Bus architecture with up to 16 servos, then you might theoretically be pulling something like 10-20 amps at any given time (especially if they are digital servos) which I would think would be too much for a standard servo lead. But all the S.Bus hardware I have seen seems to be based on standard servo-lead thickness of wires. Surely this is something that Futaba has thought of, but I haven't seen it addressed.

Thank you for the explanation...in the application of multirotors with flight controllers S.Bus really makes sense in getting a cleaner, less cluttered install. I am not that far into the hobby to get into 8+channel planes or bigger longer span servo placements so I doubt that I'll need it, but useful information none the less. KK board FW programmers have been getting S.Bus integration so I didn't know if I would understand or use any of the information but it does sound nice.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Thank you for the explanation...in the application of multirotors with flight controllers S.Bus really makes sense in getting a cleaner, less cluttered install.

I'm not sure I see how that is true. A multirotor usually doesn't have any servos at all--except maybe a tricopter with a single servo on the tail.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
joshua,

the build is cleaner becasue only one lead from RX->control board, instead of 5, or 8 or . . .

In some cases like the kk2 and specific ROMs, adding an S.Bus, CPPM, or spectrum Satilite busses, you can get well above the 5 ch input and can make use of those extra channels for on radio gain trimming, onboard headtracking stabilization or . . . whatever you can use more than 1 AUX channel for.

As far as your power concern, seperate UBECs can be connected to the same ground, then each UBEC would provide power to a bank of servos. you'd need to custom build the harness or build distribution blocks to split the power leads, but so long as they all get the same SBUS signal lines and everyone shares a common ground, they won't care which UBEC provides their power, so long as it has enough depth to feed them.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
the build is cleaner becasue only one lead from RX->control board, instead of 5, or 8 or . . .

Aha! I see. The receiver still needs to communicate radio inputs to the controller board, which usually requires one servo lead per channel, but with S.Bus, you only need one lead.