• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Overcharged LiFe battery

Hi all,

Just joining the forum, so I'm posting here. Thanks in advance for any help!

I recently purchased this 2s LiFe battery. I have a programmable charger that can handle any Lithium battery (imax B6), but like an idiot I charged the battery on the LiPo setting instead of the LiFe setting numerous times (probably 10). Basically I overcharged by about 0.7V per cell. I also treated it like a LiPo and never discharged below 3.2V per cell. Some info online says that, while obviously not a good idea, the battery should be able to take that (https://www.powerstream.com/LLLF.htm). I can confirm that my battery never got even remotely warm during charging or discharging, and is not swollen. I'm wondering if it's still safe to use though, or if I should get rid of it to be safe. I use it in my radio, not on a vehicle. The battery is currently back to LiFe storage voltage and is in a safe bag at the moment.

Thanks!

Bricks

Me personally I think it will be fine, but I would keep an eye on the voltage drop if it seems to be very short I would then replace it.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
If it's not puffed, and it holds charges well and the cells are relatively close in charge as you discharge and recharge, I think it's safe to say you'll be ok.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Mentor
If you have a meter that will check internal resistance that will determine any damage if any.

The saving grace to all that us its a low current draw useage in your radio so more then likely it should be fine.

Just make sure to keep an eye on heat when chargi g and cell voltage variance between cells at time of charge start.

Headbang

Only danger to over charging is venting. Other then puffing, only side effect would be diminished capacity. No reason the battery would not be safe.