Help! painting dtfb

Matagami Designs

Master member
Polyurethane minwax will be your friend. After your build coat it with this stuff and wipe away wait a day and then paint wont lift the paper. I believe @BATTLEAXE has a video. Just be sure your done because after you use this stuff hotglue dosent wanna stick as well. Also dont use the water base minwax

Attachments

• received_1033390487061480.jpeg
    received_1033390487061480.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0

Flyingshark

Master member

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I just spray the stuff right on the foam with light coats. Haven't had any issues as long as you keep the coats light.

Timmy

Legendary member
My concern has always been the added weight of the Minwax. People tell me it isn't an issue, what do you (everybody who sees this) think?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well...there is a LOT to cover with this.

1) What type of paint are you using? Some paints don't adhere well or can ruin the foamboard. Spray paint propellant can sometimes eat away at the core of the foam, causing it to fall apart and ruin a plane; brushing on acrylics too heavily can also have an adverse effect, causing the foamboard to warp.

2) Are you using the water resistant foamboard, or some plain white foamboard you bought at the local Dollar Tree?

If you are using the brown, water-resistant foamboard, you'll want to scuff it lightly with something like a piece of steel wool, fine grain sandpaper, or even a scrubbing sponge, so that the paint will adhere.

If you're using plain white foamboard, I recommend using a very thin layer of polyurethane to seal the plane before painting it - this will help prevent the foamboard from being eaten away. Lots of people have suggested Minwax polyurethane, which works great; I personally have been having a hard time finding the non-water based version here in San Diego, at least in something smaller than a gallon size bucket. My local Home Depot has Varathane Ultimate Polyurethane, in a half pint container, which was more than enough to cover my Master Series P-38, and I still have half the container which I plan to use on my P-51 Master Series before painting. It comes in a can like this, for about $7-8, I think, maybe less?

67EAF317-6144-47E6-85DB-006B346B3D19.jpeg

And yes, you are adding weight when you apply paint and Minwax on a plane, truthfully, it's adding only a few grams of weight, and it's never been an issue for my planes. If it's increasing a plane by 200-300g, you're applying the polyurethane and paint WAY too thick. You want to apply it SPARINGLY, and VERY lightly.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Any brand of polyurethane will work. Be sure to use the oil based poly, don't use the water based stuff. The water based will lift the paper, just like water based paint.

My self, I don't paint. I cover my entire plane with colored packing tape. It's fast, easy, cheap, light weight, water resistant, adds a bit of strength & looks pretty good. I get the tape from Tape Planet - Colored Carton Sealing Tape OR Hobby King - Wing Tape, both have a good selection of colors.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Any brand of polyurethane will work. Be sure to use the oil based poly, don't use the water based stuff. The water based will lift the paper, just like water based paint.

My self, I don't paint. I cover my entire plane with colored packing tape. It's fast, easy, cheap, light weight, water resistant, adds a bit of strength & looks pretty good. I get the tape from Tape Planet - Colored Carton Sealing Tape OR Hobby King - Wing Tape, both have a good selection of colors.

Tape looks good, but it is a PAIN to get it aligned perfectly. It took me multiple hours to get the tape all applied when my dad and I did a Simple Cub, enough to where I said, "I'll do the polyurethane and paint from here on out!"

Each method has its pluses and minuses; besides, for me, I like painting. One of the guys at the field keeps trying to get me to paint nose art on his planes, because he's seen my skill at painting rocks:
51307EAA-A6F6-49BE-9B79-41EDBE2D2482.jpeg

slowjo

Master member
Tape looks good, but it is a PAIN to get it aligned perfectly. It took me multiple hours to get the tape all applied when my dad and I did a Simple Cub, enough to where I said, "I'll do the polyurethane and paint from here on out!"

Each method has its pluses and minuses; besides, for me, I like painting. One of the guys at the field keeps trying to get me to paint nose art on his planes, because he's seen my skill at painting rocks: View attachment 192146
UR art rocks :cool:

Each method has its pluses and minuses; besides, for me, I like painting. One of the guys at the field keeps trying to get me to paint nose art on his planes, because he's seen my skill at painting rocks: View attachment 192146
Hey you've got skills! Best rocks I've seen all day! Almost the best ones all week. :unsure:

Serious skills.
Mine's different. Can't handle people...
IMG_0545.JPG

Cool though.
Wait just one minute!

A watercolor plane!! Thank you DTFB!! And no polyurethane needs to show up to the party!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well I have used water or oil based minwax with no issues either way. Small sections and stick to the brush on and wipe off method , once dry you are good to go at painting.

Phin G

Elite member
I love black n white art, as Im also colorblind, that way were all seeing the same :cool:
Ah awesome it runs in my family as my dad and brother are both colourblind. My brother has got strong deutan so have i. My dad is the only one with mild deutan.

Wow so so so good. I wish i could draw like you but i am colour blind and drew a brown Santa and a red reindeer ;) this is a piece that i drew in my art lesson yesterday
I love black n white art, as Im also colorblind, that way were all seeing the same :cool:
Yeah I wanted to say something like that too.
When I was studying about watercolor a few of the most intriguing works I found were monochromatic. Often done all in one sandy brown color from nearly white to as dark as can be. Or blues. Whatever. I like to do a blackline drawing and splash color on it. If you've got an artistic side there sure are ways you can work around the color issue. :)

mastermalpass

Elite member
I've used 'Plastikote' Spray paint for pretty much all my planes. Watch the coat thickness with each spray as some of them do melt your foam - depends on the colour. It went onto a Speedbuild FT Cruzer pretty well too, so I know it's fine with paper-covered foamboard.

Recently I've spot-painted the repair jobbies on my Dynam Hurricane with acrylic paint, simply brushed on. I needed to mix paints to get the right colour, with is something you're not gonna do with Plastikote spray paints. It's gone on pretty well, having a slightly satin finish and not being too bad for brush strokes either!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member

I paint with acrylic then varnish after and never have a problem with adhesion. I use a water based satin polyeurothane too, it doesn't lift my paper and makes washing the brush easier afterwards.
I have used oil based gloss version on some models, to give it a high luster finish.