Paper Tape... Best thing since DTFB.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
I haven't seen this mentioned before, and I did look... so if this isn't new to the forum I apologize in advance.

There have been a bunch of different methods to making the DTFB planes last longer. Hot glue hinges, Minwax, etc... but even with the Minwax I find the paper delaminating from the foam in some cases. Maybe it's hard landings, maybe it's humidity I don't know. What I do know is that the paper will start to peel from the edges a bit.

I have found a way to REALLY slow that down. What is this miracle cure you ask?

Why Paper Tape of course. Specifically the 3M brand, although they do sell a less adhesive version at the Dollar store. This stuff can be found in the medical section of the drug store by the band aids and such.

Here's how it works... After assembling a Swappable or other DTFB bird, wrap every bare edge (where the paper has a chance of separating from the foam) in this tape. Cut a piece exactly as long as the edge, center the tape over said edge, and then slowly fold the tape down on either side. This will prevent the paper from peeling up off the foam, unless there is crash damage or serious hangar rash to that area. I recommend using Minwax as well, since the paper tape alone will not prevent damage from moisture.

The end result is a seamless bird, and the paper will take paint and Minwax just like the foamboard does. I have had excellent results with this, and experienced no lifting of the paper (when used in conjunction with Minwax) with this method, where with Minwax alone I have seen some lifting in my models.

There is the issue with weight, but it's pretty negligible. I built a new Bloody Wonder last night to replace the one I folded in half during combat, and after taping all the exposed edges I added 9gr to the finished product. Not enough to even make the BW blink.

Let me know your experience with this material if you decide to use it. I find it to be a Godsend.

Also, if you need photos or video of this, please let me know. I will do my best to accommodate.

Last edited:

BonBenE

I would like to see some pics. How is colouring? Will you see the difference between papertaped and not?

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
I would like to see some pics. How is colouring? Will you see the difference between papertaped and not?

I will try to get some pics up tonight. I have yet to Minwax and paint the Bloody Wonder, so I will do that tonight.tomorrow add some before and after pics to the thread.

In my experience the reaction to color is going to depend on how it's pre-treated. If you minwax it, there shouldn't be any issue. I use rattle can spray paint, and haven't seen any color differences after minwaxing... Haven't tried before minwaxing so I can't speak to that.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I use this medical paper tape for some of my balsa constructions, and I mentioned it here hehehe:eek:

The good thing about it is that it allows oracover to stick to it, and absorbs the white wood glue well to bond better with the balsa, like wood on wood. But at the same time is pretty strong and very flexible!

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
As promised, some pictures.

First, a bare edge.

bareedge_zps76679111.jpg

Next, the tape cut to length and centered on the edge.

tape1_zpsdc2c0e88.jpg

Now, the tape folded neatly over protecting the paper and effectively keeping it from peeling.

tape2_zps8629f73b.jpg

Here is before minwax,

preminwax_zpsc201b898.jpg

Here is after,

postminwax_zpsfc190eb9.jpg

And now after a perfeshunal paint job.

paint_zps893a5b98.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
hmmm . . . I wonder how this stuff works as hinge tape.

looks like I need to pick up a roll :)

MT Alex

That looks really nice and clean when finished. I always run hot glue down every exposed edge and the squeegee off with a notched piece of scrap foam board. It works very well but doesn't look as sharp as your method.

EraJomppa

RC Enthusiast
We have that thing here is Finland, it's sold in all the pharmacies. It goes by a wound tape. I use it regularly instead of bandages when I cut my fingers etc, since it has better adhering properties and it lasts longer.

I have found that it is PERFECT hinge tape for smaller foamies. I use it a lot and I'v yet to have any hinge torn off. Sometimes they get loosened a bit due to crashes etc, but the tape has never let go or got torn apart.

I love it! I used to use duct tape, but that tended to let go after a while. I tried different kinds of tapes and then heard about using the "wound tape", I tried and got hooked :p Especially since my hands are often targeted by sharp objects.