Phoenix cable no longer working with new radio.

theishkid

I bought a used copy of Phoenix on ebay a few weeks ago and it has worked completely fine with my Spektrum DX5 that came with my Apprentice. I sold the DX5 this week and bought a new DX6. The DX6 does not want to connect with Phoenix anymore unless I bend the end of the cable.

Here is the cable how it was when attached to the DX5.
IMG_2392.jpeg

And I have to bend the cable like this (when attached to the DX6) in order for it to recognize the radio on the computer.
IMG_2393.jpeg

The actual audio jack is not the problem on the DX6 because I used a headphone extender as well and still had to bend the end of the cable to get it to work. If I take my hand off the bend it disconnects and when I bend it back it reconnects almost immediately.

Any ideas why it would work fine with the DX5 but a day later it won't work with the DX6 without bending it?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Contact issues like that will either be in the socket or the wire . . . typically the wire, but if you've tried a second wire with the same results, then it's not in the wire.

You likely have a defective socket. you can try to trouble shoot it (open the radio and resolder the connections or replace the socket), but being a new radio, this is solidly a Warrantee issue.

Horizon does a good job with standing behind their products, but you'll likely have to send it into them to have it fixed. I'd give their customer service office a call.

theishkid

What I meant by using a second connector was that i put an extender between this connector and the socket on the radio. I still had to bend the original phoenix connector to get it to work so I'm fairly confident it's not the radio socket.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
gotcha. . . . then it's your cable.

There's likely a broken wire in the plug, either at the contacts or inside the strain relief. you could permanently add on an extension and tape it up in such a way that it stays bent, or you can replace the plug. All depends on how good you are at soldering.