Newbie to RC

bfg1959

Hi everyone. Ok newbie to all this stuff. I build 1/48 scale plastic models and have for the last 12 months been adding motors to make the models more interesting. I recently bought a cheap RC helicopter on eBay and used the parts to motorise a Wessex model. I think it’s infra-red and as such is not very reliable due to the fact it’s enclosed. It has a rechargeable cell @ 3.7v and I replaced the motor with a 3v gearbox/motor and overall it’s ok. However I want to move up to RC. So I had a look online and it’s bewildering, so much stuff!!!
I found a DX6 controller which I think will do the job but I need to find receivers they are small enough to fit into the model as well as adding a rechargeable battery the biggest one would be a 4 engine Lancaster but the majority are single engines with a smattering of 2 engines, more so for helicopters.
Any info on micro ESC and batteries welcome.
Just to clarify. I don’t want to fly them just animate them. If I can also control lights etc even better.

Thanks peeps.

Tench745

Master member
Hi everyone. Ok newbie to all this stuff. I build 1/48 scale plastic models and have for the last 12 months been adding motors to make the models more interesting. I recently bought a cheap RC helicopter on eBay and used the parts to motorise a Wessex model. I think it’s infra-red and as such is not very reliable due to the fact it’s enclosed. It has a rechargeable cell @ 3.7v and I replaced the motor with a 3v gearbox/motor and overall it’s ok. However I want to move up to RC. So I had a look online and it’s bewildering, so much stuff!!!
I found a DX6 controller which I think will do the job but I need to find receivers they are small enough to fit into the model as well as adding a rechargeable battery the biggest one would be a 4 engine Lancaster but the majority are single engines with a smattering of 2 engines, more so for helicopters.
Any info on micro ESC and batteries welcome.
Just to clarify. I don’t want to fly them just animate them. If I can also control lights etc even better.

Thanks peeps.
I'm not sure that RC is necessarily the best fit for what you're doing. Unless you're wanting your models to move on their own, having a small control module in a base of the model may be the easier road to take.

That said, if you're set on RC things, check out equipment for UMX planes. A couple sources are:

Shurik-1960

Try to glue the model out of paper and "revive" it with the help of small motors and LEDs. You need to learn how to program an Arduino for management . You don't need radio control for your purposes.

bfg1959

I'm not sure that RC is necessarily the best fit for what you're doing. Unless you're wanting your models to move on their own, having a small control module in a base of the model may be the easier road to take.

That said, if you're set on RC things, check out equipment for UMX planes. A couple sources are:
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Not sure what you mean about a small control module. Woukd I still be able to enclose in model with rechargeable cell and stop/start remotely?