PI Gain, KK2.1.5 / 2200Kv / 10A ESC

HawK86uk

Professional Amateur
New Fault - Beeping ESC - PI Gain, KK2.1.5 / 2200Kv / 10A ESC -- New fault

Hey,

[Edited: New posts at the bottom of the thread - I don't want to spam new threads.]

This I think is fairly basic, and I think I have the answer to it but I want to double check instead of just accepting my fate.

I've set up my PI gains on my KK2.1.5 REALLY LOW, like 15 P and 10 I and I think I'm still having slow oscillations. I could knock my I gain down a little more but these seem WAAAAY low.

I think it's just because I have Watuba? Futaba? ESC's and motors that came as part of a KIT but wanted to check with the experts (yourselves) if this still seems too low despite this?

2200Kv Motors
10A Esc's
2200 Mah 3S1P 30c
KK 2.1.5
250mm Carbon Frame

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Have you de-vibed the frame? In a slightly ascending hover do the props buzz any or is it a nice soft humming whir?

Vibe attacks your control loops and the higher the gains the stronger their effects . . . casuing you to lower the gains (and your locked-in feel) to maintain stability. That's also modestly heavy battery on that size frame so those motors should be fairly well loaded (comfortably so, but they're not taking it easy). They should be fine under that load, but the higher your throttle has to run the worse any vibe will be. If it sounds like an angry buzz in a gently ascending hover you've got bad vibe -- Balance props, Check motor balance and bearings, vibe isolate your control board.

Have you reflashed the ROM?

The stock ROM also doesn't handle the sensors quite properly and leaves them a bit more susceptable to vibration noise. I'd reflash to the most recent stable ROM as soon as your able (first thing I do with any flight controller, even Naze and multiwii boards). for kk2.1.x that's either Steveis's 1.19S1 or RC911's AiO++ R3

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
This sounds like vibe to me, too. Like Dan states, that 2200 can be making life harder for you. It certainly will in a crash. For your copter I would run a 1300mAh 45-90C Nanotech.

What firmware is on the ESCs? Some stock firmware is pretty slow and can look like vibe problems.

HawK86uk

Professional Amateur
Thanks for the tips guys. I've gone and got myself a smaller battery - 1650mAh, should save me 30 grams of weight roughly, unfortunately they didn't have a 1300mAh.

I was talking to a rather condescending man and he was saying for outrunner balancing, I should find the spot that has excess weight and drill into it to lighten rather than add to the other side (tape / stickers / vinyl can all peel off at speed). What do you guys think, is that reasonable? I wouldn't want to damage the motors. I have a small drill with a .1mm Dia metal drill bit (hand drill) so can easily do that.

I'm going to take the quad apart and rebuild it from the ground up and start again, add foam tape to prevent vibes getting into the flight controller and battery (I'm sure that shakes more than it should).

I'm not sure if I can flash my ESC (I don't think I have the hardware).

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. Been dropped in the deep end with a pre-built kit quad, so having to do ALOT of reading / researching to get up to where i need to be.

earthsciteach

I have never heard of anyone drilling into the bell of a motor to remove weight. What if it coincides with a magnet location? Most likely it will.

Your plan to rebuild the copter is solid. If you have the ability, weigh each component and arrange as best as you can to get as close to an even weight distribution. However, an fc can overcome a bit of "off center" center of mass.

For balancing, I simply focus on props, checking both the balance of the blades and the hubs. Once you have a decent board setup, it will fly.

phyber

OP, I'm running roughly the same setup as you, but a diatone long frame, and I'm running with the stock kk settings, sans some stick scaling. No anomalies unless in wind

HawK86uk

Professional Amateur
Hey guys. I have had a recent issue where the quad will flip in mid flight shortly after take off.

So essentially I haven't changed anything but the escs to some off brand simonk 10a. Everything was fine, flying fine but then randomly this week, the motor stops and my quad flips and drops out of the sky.

When i go to collect it the esc will beep with 8 beeps in rapid succession, a short break and starts again.

I've had a look and can't find anything definitive anywhere but thought you guys might know. One thing I read said it could be transmitter battery being low but why would that consistently be the third motor?

HawK86uk

Professional Amateur
So, some troubleshooting later I'm pretty certain its the esc. Its consistently my third motor that cuts out even when I swap them around. Looks like I might have to reflash my esc?