Power Distribution Board Short? HELP!

RC-Mallory

I just got my first regulated power distribution board with a current sensor and everything. Got it hooked up and powered on just fine, but then while configuring some other stuff with it running, it started having some problems and didn't seem to be supplying enough power, so I unplugged the battery and tried plugging it back in... nothing. None of the LEDs light up and it starts making a somewhat ionized gas sort of smell, so I won't keep it plugged in for more than 2 seconds (short circuit protection is probably kicking in). I tested for shorts with the primary power in, but nothing showed up that was obvious, although it is reading about 38,000 ohms, but I figured that probably wasn't a short. It may be a defective board, but it is really well built and takes up to 5S (currently using 4S) so I find it hard to believe it would kick the bucket so quickly. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

PDB Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/332070152516

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Smells are a bad sign but not difinitive. Not getting good voltage and/or current out is.

Double check your polarity (if it's wrong there's a good chance something has fused), otherwise, not much else to check without good schematics.

I hate to say it, "well built" or not, the board can be defective for reasons you won't be able to see. It happens, and the cheaper you buy, the higher the likelihood.

RC-Mallory

Thanks for the info, I think your probably right. I looked at it closer and couldn't find any obvious flaws, a few solder splatters here and there, but nothing on any actual components (although good to note for future builds). Also tested every individual regulated output pad for shorts, nothing. Plugged it in again and it seems something internal is arcing, meaning most of the time it doesn't get power, but there is a little pop every once in a while and the LEDs flash on for a split second before going dark again.

I'm guessing since it appears to be a bad component that sticking it in an oven and doing a solder re-flow wouldn't help...

Looks like I'm on the market for a new PDB, any suggestions for something a bit more reliable? I really want something with a current sensor built in.

Thanks again,

- Chase

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Glad to help point someone towards good quality designers, builders, sellers! Just be aware that his PDB has a special feature for his tricopters (but are designed to work well with quads) where you can adjust the regulator to send 5v (default) 6v or 8v for high voltage servos. You can also set it to 12V (if you run more than 3S) for FPV gear or other 12V devices (like LEDs). If you don't need those, you don't bridge the pads that enable those voltage levels. If you do choose a higher BEC output greater than 6V, you'll probably need a separate BEC / converter to power up your RX/FC.