PPM from Orange OpenLRS Rx

bprodgers21

Just curious if anyone here has had success using the PPM out from the Orange OpenLRS Rx. I've tried it with both a Naze32 and a KK2.1 board (not at the same time ;) ), but neither recognizes the PPM signals from the Rx. Here's how I had it set it up:

Rx: Running latest version of OpenLRSng, jumper on signal pins of channels 7 and 8 per manual, using PPM out from channel 5/port 6. Limited PPM out to 8 channels in the Chrome configurator.

Naze32: Plugged into the three leftmost pins on the top row of the inputs per manual. Enabled PPM feature in CLI under Baseflight configurator.

KK2.1: Running Steveis 1.12? (don't remember exactly) beginner firmware. Enabled PPM in menu and configured channels to the order that my Rx is set up for (TAER, aka JR/Spektrum). Plugged the PPM cable into the aileron input pins.

Neither board is recognizing the PPM stream from the Rx. I've read things about sync time and pulse widths, but I haven't messed with these things yet. Anybody have some experience here that can offer suggestions? Thanks in advance.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I never even bothered to even try the stock firmware on my Orange openLRS and just went straight for openLRSng.

With ng I've had PPM working since the day after I flashed it. I had a few stumbles at first just over confusion between pin number and channel number to determine which pin I needed to connect to - but once I got it on the right pin it "just worked".

I did have problems when I tried setting it to 12ch and I did have problems when I damaged the arduino mega I use as a flight controller. But switching it back to 8ch solved the first problem and swapping to a mega board that hadn't been smashed under the weight of my quad several times solved the second.

bprodgers21

jhitesma, did you set up the Rx in "Forced PPM" mode or did you jumper the pins on Channels 7 and 8 to get PPM out? I'm beginning to wonder if I should reconfigure to "Forced PPM" and give that a try. I might also try another Rx, because the one that I'm currently using has been through a few crashes and has seen better days - but it works perfectly in regular (PWM) mode.

bprodgers21

I got it to work earlier tonight. I'll document what I did here - hopefully it'll help someone else out:

It turns out that jumpering the signal pins for Channels 7 and 8 does nothing - I suppose that the documentation I found on this is now outdated. I used the OpenLRSng chrome configurator to set Ch5 to PPM. I also limited PPM out to 8 channels. It worked like a charm after this. It's possible that limiting PPM-out to 8 channels isn't necessary - I changed both things at once so I don't know for sure.

hoggdoc1946

OpenLRSng/FrSky Taranis/DJI Naza M V1 updated to V2 Firmware

The jumpers haven't done anything in a while, all settings are changed via the Chrome configuration tool now. Check out the wiki instruction manual: https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng/wiki and get the chrome app here: http://goo.gl/iX7dJx

OK are you saying that I need to enter into the Chrome configuration User Interface and change something in the RX setup to make it output PPM on Pins (6) Channel 5? Is there anything I need to do to the TX module setup.

Wayne aka HD/hoggdoc1946

hoggdoc1946

I got it to work earlier tonight. I'll document what I did here - hopefully it'll help someone else out:

It turns out that jumpering the signal pins for Channels 7 and 8 does nothing - I suppose that the documentation I found on this is now outdated. I used the OpenLRSng chrome configurator to set Ch5 to PPM. I also limited PPM out to 8 channels. It worked like a charm after this. It's possible that limiting PPM-out to 8 channels isn't necessary - I changed both things at once so I don't know for sure.

Gee I hope I don't have to reprogram the TX module as I can't find the darn programming dongle I bought for that purpose. I had it to flash 3 RX and 2 TX now I can find the darn thing. It's hell getting old friends.

:p