Problem setting up KK2.1.5 board

jermy paul

Hi all,

I am quite a newbie here and this is my first quadrotor build.

My quadcopter parts are as follows:

1000kv 13T brushless A2212 motors,
30A ESC (Not branded)
KK2.1.5 board,
Frame : Self Built
10" *4.5 props.

Battery : 3 cell battery with a maximum discharge current more than 60A (Atleast that's what is said by the seller; We got our batteries custom made)

I have checked all the ESCs and corresponding motors by directly connecting the signal cable of the ESC to the throttle channel on the receiver with the above mentioned battery. All are working satisfactorily individually.

When we connect all the four ESCs to the KK2 board and accordingly give power to all of them in parallel with the same battery, the KK2 board refuses to start. The battery outputs 11.95V. It first strikes if battery is at fault, but in my opinion, if the battery can sustain a motor at full throttle, it should be able to give enough current to make sure that KK2 starts up.? Correct me if I am wrong.

When we give power to the KK2 board externally with a lipo battery, the KK2 starts up normally. The ESCs beep but after calibration beeps, none of the motors spin. I have tried to calibrate the ESCs by holding the 1&4 buttons and carrying out the process, as suggested by many, but what I have noticed is that the motors spin when we are still holding the 1&4 buttons and stop immediately when we release the buttons.

I have tried arming and disarming the KK2 board but to no success. The motors just wouldn't spin even if the KK2 was armed or disarmed.

And also any help to ascertain the properties of the battery other than voltage would be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions or advice would be helpful.

Below are the pics attached of my quadcopter.

Motor:

IMG_20150628_210646.jpg

ESC:

IMG_20150628_210747.jpg

KK2.1.5 board

IMG_20150628_210842.jpg

Receiver:

IMG_20150628_210936.jpg

Battery:

IMG_20150628_211040.jpg

Frame + electronics

IMG_20150628_211139.jpg

Thank you.

jermy paul

Also If there is anyone from Mumbai, Maharashtra, India; who has made a quadrotor or has experience in the same; kindly PM me so that I may bring the model to you which might be more convenient than posting on this forum.

Thank you

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a pretty through debug . . . but let's hit a few specifics.

A quick search online hints that the ESC pictured has a UBEC built in -- my first suspicion was you've got OPTO escs, which will not provide power to the other electronics as they lack a UBEC.

In reality only the ESC plugged into M1 is providing power to the board M2-8's power lines (middle pin) are connected in parallel, but they're disconnected from the kk2's power bus. only M1 is connected. try swapping one of the other ESCs into M1 and see if it comes to life. That ESC may have a bad UBEC in it . . . or a broken wire, or the kk2 board has a damaged M1 power connection. hard to say.

By "give power to the KK2 board externally with a lipo battery" *please* tell me you didn't hook up the 3S pack directly to the kk2 board. that's a good way to generate smoke (and even if it didn't, I'd strongly doubt that board's health).

If trying each of the 4 ESCs in the M1 position still seems to go nowhere, try them over on over on the RX side, to see if the M1 power connection itself is bad. if that works, all it will take is a little swapping of pins among connectors, otherwise, we've still got trouble to hunt . . . and shoot.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Hello jermy paul! Welcome to the forum! wave1.gif

Before you connect your motors make sure you setup your new KK2 board correctly. Power on the KK2 board and select the receiver test menu. Make sure all of your end points and trims are such that each channel goes from -100 to zero to +100. Throttle should be 0 "idle" to 100 "full"

This test menu will also tell you if one of your channels needs to be reversed or if there is a channel fault.