Problems calibrating ESC in Naze 32

KNicholas2

I am building the Versacopter with the guidance from Josh's (and others) video. No matter what I try, motor #3 starts before any others. I cannot seem to get them calibrated.

Here are some observations and issues:

- I am using a Futaba radio
- I am using the latest version of CleanFlight for NAZE 32 ver. 6.
- the version of ESC that FliteTest sent me do not appear to have OneShot
- all of the control responses are good when I look at the receiver module.
- Whenever I save and reboot the status info in the upper left window does not show reboot unless I disconnect and then reconnect.
- with the battery DISCONNECTED the motors will spool up in the motor configuration when I move the sliders to the maximum values of 1905.
- when I move the master ESC slider to maximum the motors spool up and there is no "beeping"
- if I attach the battery, all of the motors engage at the max RPM.

Any advice is appreciated.

Kim Nicholas

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Do your esc's power up(go beep, beep beep, beep beep beep) when the usb is connected to your fc before you connect the battery?

Fusebox

What do you mean when you say that the motors will spool up with the battery DISCONNECTED? So you move the slider to 1905, then plug it in and the motors spool up? Sorry if I'm missing something, but I'm trying to understand what the issue is here.

KNicholas2

Motors start from USB power

Sorry if I was not very clear.
I have the Versacopter plugged in to the computer with ONLY the USB connection. NO battery is attached.
When I slide the motor sliders - they apparently have some current from the USB to make them active.

KNicholas2

I will try to unplug the red wire....

Thank you for the link. What a pain in the southside! This is my first build and the learning curve has made my brain hurt. I won't mention the frustration levels.
I will have to disassemble the frame to get to the wires, but I will disconnect the middle red wires and try it out.

Kim

Fusebox

The issue is the Naze 32 rev 6 doesnt have a diode between the usb and the 5v power rail. This allows voltage from the usb to power up your esc's and everything else connected to your pdb with the voltage supplied by your usb. Check out this post for details on how worked I around this issue.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...emax-12a-blheli-esc-with-naze32-acro-rev-6-fc

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the rev6 board. Good to know for future builds though.

Fusebox

Sorry if I was not very clear.
I have the Versacopter plugged in to the computer with ONLY the USB connection. NO battery is attached.
When I slide the motor sliders - they apparently have some current from the USB to make them active.

I was just trying to get a clue as to what was going on. I wasn't aware that the rev6 board did this. Good luck with the build. I had a few kinks to work around as well setting mine up. You will get it figured out. Just keep at it. That's part of the fun of the hobby.

KNicholas2

It worked! I disconnected the red wire from each ESC and did the calibration as described. Then reconnected and tested it. So far so good!
Now I am ready for a maiden flight when the Seattle weather improves.

Thank you again for all that helped.

Kim Nicholas

KNicholas2

It worked!

I did as you recommended. I disconnected the red wire from each ESC and did the calibration as described.
I then reattached the wires and tested it. It seems to be working like it is supposed to.

Now I need some decent Seattle weather for the maiden flight.

Thank you to everyone who helped.

Kim Nicholas

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Glad I could help. Sorry for not replying sooner but I was on a mission to rebuild my Versacopter with some new parts. I'm still pretty new to brushless multirotors too and definitely feel your pain for the steep learning curve. Hope you love your Versacopter as much as I love mine.