Pushrod tubing?

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hopefully not a stupid question but I'm running out of my much loved Dubro pushrod kits that I stocked up on back when they were cheap. The Dubro kits have now gotten stupid expensive so I'll just do my own. I have tons of music wire in all sizes but need just the tubing to go along with it. I just need the tubing. Nothing else. Anyone have low buck suggestions? Maybe something available in craft stores etc? I'd like to be able to do .031, .047 and .061 wire. A good fit on .061 wire would probably still work just fine on the smaller sizes as well. I can't see just the tubing being crazy expensive. Online with shipping cost just defeats the whole purpose so it needs to be something I can find in local stores.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Coffee stirrers work well for me. You just have to use a bunch over long distances.

LOL. I have two boxes of them. I guess in a pinch I could glue them together. I'd prefer to be able to buy the tubing in nice long lengths though. We know Dubro doesn't make the stuff. They source it from somewhere. I've been searching Michael's and Hobby Lobby crafts online and found nothing. I may have to actually go in the stores (when they open after the lock down).

Joe

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
RC car and truck antenna guide tubes. They’re usually fifty cents to a dollar and are long enough to cut for multiple lengths.

They might not be 1 Meter length tubes, but they generally seem to be sufficient for my needs. 😁

Reactions: FDS

TooJung2Die

Master member
My wife bought a pack of these shower caps in a dollar store. It might have been Dollar General. There was about 3 feet of guide tubing inside each cap. That's 9 feet of tubing for a buck! It's the perfect size tubing, nice and stiff. You can straighten it out over a hot stove.

shower caps.jpg

I have no idea what the shower caps are good for. :)

Jon

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Also model railroad stores sell lengths of Wire in Tube controls for switches, they are good for lots of stuff.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use a marker flag wire for push rods. This wire is a bit thicker and doesn’t require a tube, just a support every 12 inches or so. Marker flags are cheap and plentiful at a big box store such as Lowe’s, $10 or so for 100.

sprzout

Mentor
DING, DING, DING, DING we have a winner! Holy frijoles! 10 yards of 3/32" O.D. tubing for $11.67 including shipping and tax. I think I'll be set for life now.....

Joe

Only thing I might add is to check to see where it's coming from. From what I understand, any fulfillments from China are being delayed due to COVID-19, so you may not see it for another month or two. Don't know what your timeline is, but I know I'm kinda held up on some builds due to lack of supplies.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Only thing I might add is to check to see where it's coming from. From what I understand, any fulfillments from China are being delayed due to COVID-19, so you may not see it for another month or two. Don't know what your timeline is, but I know I'm kinda held up on some builds due to lack of supplies.

The seller is in Paris. Paris, Tennessee. Shouldn't be a problem but every day there are new restrictions so you just never know. Luckily I'm not in a huge rush.

Joe

sprzout

Mentor
The seller is in Paris. Paris, Tennessee. Shouldn't be a problem but every day there are new restrictions so you just never know. Luckily I'm not in a huge rush.

Joe

No kidding - all the hobby shops around me finally closed their doors until further notice on...Fri? Thurs? Sometime last week, despite shelter in place orders. Glad you don't need it right this minute, though.

Let us know how this tubing works out for you; I'd be curious to see if it's stiff enough to work, or if it's too soft.

Wildthing

Legendary member
No kidding - all the hobby shops around me finally closed their doors until further notice on...Fri? Thurs? Sometime last week, despite shelter in place orders. Glad you don't need it right this minute, though.

Let us know how this tubing works out for you; I'd be curious to see if it's stiff enough to work, or if it's too soft.

Our hobby stores are mandated to close but they still can do mail orders and curb side pickups but the doors are locked.