PZ0420M settings advice? with Video

Keems

Hello everyone,
I just recently started flying FPV with my VersaCopter and I'm looking for some advice on my camera settings. I enjoy flying however I experience washouts/blackouts as the camera turns towards the sun. This occurs mid day or dusk/sunrise. Is this due to IR sensitivity or is this something that can be changed within camera settings? I've tried several different suggested settings from forum members/youtubers, however nothing really seems to help this. Wide dynamic range is turned on and doesn't seem to help much.

Is this just a function of a poor camera? What kind of improvements can I really expect going to a better headset (ie fatshark) and different camera?

Thanks!

Some details about the gear/video:
FPV video shot via my cell phone pointed into my goggles, but it's pretty representative of what I see
Video transmitter - Eachine TS832 Boscam 5.8ghz
Goggles are Bangood DIY with Aomway circular polarized antenna
HD footage is GoPro Hero3 taken at the same time

Keems

Hi there,
This is the IR sensitive version of the camera which I assume is contributing to this. Makes it nearly impossible to shoot gaps or get near trees since it darkens so quickly depending on the light.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I had that same camera as my first programmable one. I followed Mr. Steeles settings video and adapted from there right before I killed the camera in a crash. Follow the settup in this video and drop the contrast down a bit further and then adjust brightness to get the levels you want. Going a tad brighter then you would normally set video is a good idea as you can adjust that as needed with your goggles. Better to have to bright and be able to drop it back then to dark and be helpless. Also I had to tweak the color gains a bit to match the blues to blue instead of more greenish.

MAKE SURE when you do these settings your goggles are at defaulted center values for brightness and contrast.

Keems

Thank you both for the information.

I'll some playing around with the settings, using Steele's setup as a baseline. The image in his video is already much better than mine even under the best conditions. Probably wouldn't hurt to look into an IR lens or IR film as well.

I'll let ya know what I come up with.

Thanks

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Go with the lens not film. They get pretty smudged up when flying around let alone in sticky grassy crashes. Pay particular attention to the section for day and night transitioning. 5 second delay is nice so you dont get that fast bright dark switch when going thru shadows. That is VERY annoying. You can also use that to change levels for how strong the effect is. I almost have mine tuned where the sky contrast looks like sky and not pink and blue cotton candy in certain conditions. That was insanely bad on default settings.