Quad Bloody Wonder (Inspired by Flying201's Twin BW)

Flat4

Haha! Well you're very welcome to copy my design, that's why I put it on the forum in the first place! :)

I do notice I need opposite aileron input to make a flat spin, and it's more like a flat turn than spin anyway ;). Differential thrust should definitely help, I'm sure you've seen the original cruiser episode. Even with a symmetrical wing, the wing that has most speed (right wing in a left turn in your example) will still produce more lift than the other wing. This is because there is an angle of attack involved, which is not zero, because if it was you would be descending. A symmetrical wing with 0deg pitch does not produce lift.

Maybe a flight stabilizer, like the guardian (have one, still got to test it) or the APM is able to make you do flat turns/spins without the hassle of giving aileron corrections to keep the plane flat?

I also have new modifications in mind for my symmetrical wonder: I need larger winglets for increasing knife edge performance, and I want a smaller vertical stab (possibly combined with larger rudder).

Just read through your thread, now I want to steal your winglets too. Also seeing the recess you put in your fuselage gave me the idea to just create one that is symmetrical to the wing and tail section on the top and bottom, if you get what I mean. While I'm at it might as well make the vert stabs symmetrical, and have an identical plane top from bottom. Would that pose any major issues with it besides, what I'm guessing to be, a slight efficiency loss from lack of lift? I just finished the plane this morning and I'm already mentally preparing it's tear down, i need to stop lol.

Off topic, I have rough edits done of most the footage of the day. Basically just the highlights of my flights, and my buddies chase footage. Uploading them now, gonna link them up on the first post. If you are to watch anything check out from like 3:30 on in the chase footage video. That's the clip I was talking about that I didn't have my mobius turned on for.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Also seeing the recess you put in your fuselage gave me the idea to just create one that is symmetrical to the wing and tail section on the top and bottom, if you get what I mean.

I'm not sure, you mean you want to make it a mid-winged airplane?

While I'm at it might as well make the vert stabs symmetrical

You're going to give your vertical stabs an airfoil?

Off topic,
That isn't offtopic, dude :)

Flat4

I'm not sure, you mean you want to make it a mid-winged airplane?

You're going to give your vertical stabs an airfoil?

That isn't offtopic, dude :)

Yea make it a mid wing plane, duh, I was starring at video way to long last night. No I didn't mean give the stabs an airfoil but make them the same size top and bottom.

petedotnl

oh man this is a fantastic build! i'm jumping on and off the couch like a little kid when i saw your pic's of the 4 motors on it. really inspiring.
the smile on my face is beyond limits. i'm curious about your radio mixer settings. do the motors all have their own channel. have you thought off switching 2 of the motors on and off by a switch (just because you can) or differential thrust on only two engines instead of four. (and looking at the difference between inner or outer engines)

thanks for sharing this great build. (i think i'm gonna copy it with a symetrical wing)

Flat4

oh man this is a fantastic build! i'm jumping on and off the couch like a little kid when i saw your pic's of the 4 motors on it. really inspiring.
the smile on my face is beyond limits. i'm curious about your radio mixer settings. do the motors all have their own channel. have you thought off switching 2 of the motors on and off by a switch (just because you can) or differential thrust on only two engines instead of four. (and looking at the difference between inner or outer engines)

thanks for sharing this great build. (i think i'm gonna copy it with a symetrical wing)

Haha awesome dude, glad you enjoyed it. I have the two port side motors connected into the same channel, as well as the two starboard motors. Only have a 6 channel rx on it, so I couldn;t run them all into their own channel, not originally at least when I planned on it also having a rudder. I'm also entertaining the idea of a rebuild with a sym wing, mounted in the center of the fuselage. It really is an awesome plane, it flew so much better than expected.

I did have an incident with a pine tree striiping all the blades of one of my props in flight, it also bent back one of the three blades on the remaining prop on the same wing. If you watch my FPV vid you can see it towards the end of the video. You can also see how it effortlessly flew back to me in that condition. Coolest thing I've ever had a plane do by far, reminded me of those stories you read of the A-10 Warthogs flying home after taking insane amount of damage.

Let me know if you have any other questions on it, as my build log isn't the most descriptive.

Last edited: