Twin motor wing inspired by new Xfly edf wing

jpot1

Elite member
Saw the new twin edf wing from banana hobby.com and though I would try it from foamboard.

Xfly brand from banana hobby.com
IMG_0419.jpeg

My version kfm4 wing with layered DTFB and some simple 3d printed motor mounts. Not worried about hiding wires until I see if it flys.

IMG_0418.jpeg

May 3d print nacelles if this goes well.

Erasmus80

I see you put the two ESC on separate channels. Tying them together with a mix?
I suppose you will be able to tweak the trim on one to balance out the engines should they be a bit off from each other.

jpot1

Elite member
I see you put the two ESC on separate channels. Tying them together with a mix?
I suppose you will be able to tweak the trim on one to balance out the engines should they be a bit off from each other.
Yes, two channels and a mix with rudder for differential. I calibrated the escs and hope by using same motor and escs I’ll have consistent pull on each side.

jpot1

Elite member
It flew! But not at first. For some reason the left motor had more pull than the right. Adjusted via rudder trim and managed a few laps around the field. Relatively stable. Tried to see about a flat spin which did not end well but no real damage. Need to keep experimenting.

L Edge

Master member
jpot1

Did you know that if you use a V-tail mixer you have 2 options that a tx mixer differential doesn't have? It also allows you to sync the fans in flight and it also allows you to trim it.
Have used it for years on EDf's such as A-10, SR-71 and on my latest project DarkStar. Found when going vertical, it pulled to left, so moved the rudder trim to right and it corrected the problem. Also, improved my right turns as well as having differential thrust when needed.

If you would like to see a video explaining how to hook it up and see the trim and sync work. Advantages are no mixing and you save a channel on the rx. Let me know.

Did you have any reflex set into the elevons?

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
jpot1

Did you know that if you use a V-tail mixer you have 2 options that a tx mixer differential doesn't have? It also allows you to sync the fans in flight and it also allows you to trim it.
Have used it for years on EDf's such as A-10, SR-71 and on my latest project DarkStar. Found when going vertical, it pulled to left, so moved the rudder trim to right and it corrected the problem. Also, improved my right turns as well as having differential thrust when needed.

If you would like to see a video explaining how to hook it up and see the trim and sync work. Advantages are no mixing and you save a channel on the rx. Let me know.

Did you have any reflex set into the elevons?
Thanks @L Edge , I have never used a v-tail mixer but I have a radiomaster so more than enough channels. I too used rudder trim to balance out the motors so good to go.