Quadcopter sizes (250,450) etc... What options are available?

Quad

With Quadcopter sizes (250,450) etc... What options are available? What do the different numbers mean? For instance 450?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The size is typically measured as the "wheelbase" -- for a quad, it's the longest motor-to-motor distance, in mm.

a 250 quad, for instance will measure 250mm from the front-left corner motor center to the rear right motor center.

. . . or close. Since there's very little difference in handling between a 450mm wheel base and a 465mm wheel base, most quads are grouped by class. As of late the classes are aligning with every 100mm on the 50's, but some quote the 100's as their size too -- like the Blade 200. The smaller they are the more likely they'll quote a number that's closer. So a "250 quad" might measure out a bit bigger/smaller than 250mm, but it should be pretty close.

As for options available . . . who is limited merely by options?!? ;)

Quad

How long will the booms be? 25 cm or maybe a little longer?

Not as long as I thought. :) I guess I have a smaller craft... Just the standard length. I will have to measure once it is built... I had the boom length wrong in my head...

Quad

What are the main classes of quads?

There seems to be:

250 FPV racers
aprox 250 ACRO (Which can be 200,230, 270, 300)
450 X and 450 FPV and 450 FPV with camera.

Any other main classifications?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I'd say the most popular sizes seem to be:

Nano (<200mm)
250 (including both acro which tend to be X and FPV which tend to be H)
350-380 (The FT Knuckle falls into this category)
450 (until the 250's took over probably the most popular size, mostly due to DJI I suspect.)
650 (big SLR lifting rigs)

Not sure why they all seem to be in 50 increments rather than 100's though :D

MitchO

So if I am looking for a good FPV rig with GPS and a GoPro size camera to fly the pants off of and get some decent video what would be the ideal size and format? Sounds like a 250 would get it done but X or H? Also would there be any benefit to going bigger?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
As Balu suggests, frame size can depend a lot of prop sizes. My spider quad that carries a gimbal and GoPro is a 550 size because that's the smallest it can be swinging 11" props. If I had smaller powerful motors I could decrease prop size and get a smaller footprint.

So if I am looking for a good FPV rig with GPS and a GoPro size camera to fly the pants off of and get some decent video what would be the ideal size and format?
A 250 size can certainly get away with carrying a GoPro, but if you want GPS, a gimbal, and gentler flying I suggest you go with what William A says. In my experience a 500+ size frame is actually not that big. Especially if it folds up.