Question about a propeller

NathanSchool

Hey forum! I was wondering where I can find resources regarding the correct electronic parts for a propeller that has these generic specifications:
  • 13x6.5 Carbon Fiber Electric Propeller for RC Airplane
  • Size: 13x6.5
  • Mounting Hole: 8mm
  • Adaptor Rings: 1x 5mm /1x 6mm
  • Hub Thickness: 8mm
Thank you!

luvmy40

Elite member
Hmm, usually people size their motor and ESC to a specific model plane and then choose the prop based on the motor and battery combination.

I am far from an expert on this, but I would say you want a larger can, low kv(1000kv or less?) motor with that big, fairly aggressive prop.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Hey forum! I was wondering where I can find resources regarding the correct electronic parts for a propeller that has these generic specifications:
  • 13x6.5 Carbon Fiber Electric Propeller for RC Airplane
  • Size: 13x6.5
  • Mounting Hole: 8mm
  • Adaptor Rings: 1x 5mm /1x 6mm
  • Hub Thickness: 8mm
Thank you!
A Cobra C3520/10 980kva motor has a 5mm shaft and with a 3 cell lipo will give you 2438 grams thrust at 47.5 Amps but an 80 amp ESC is recommended.
https://innov8tivedesigns.com/images/specs/Cobra_3520-10_Specs.htm

danskis

Master member
Well - google is your friend. It probably doesn't have to be carbon fiber. Some more info would help. Do you have the motor yet? What's the motor going on, etc.

NathanSchool

Well - google is your friend. It probably doesn't have to be carbon fiber. Some more info would help. Do you have the motor yet? What's the motor going on, etc.
I'm currently looking at a Typhoon HET EDF 700-83 Motor 39mm 630Kv (8mm shaft) to attach to the prop.

HVB79

Maybe you already know this but don't need or want a motor with a 8mm shaft.

Most of the time people use a motor with a smaller shaft, for example 5mm, and a prop adapter that would be in this example 5mm on the shaft side and 8mm on the prop side. Given that you have rings for 5mm and 6mm you could also use an adapter with an output dynamiter of 5 or 6 mm.
For Example This Adapter

HVB79

Last edited:

HVB79

You could run the 4030 510kv motor on 3 to 6 cell LiPo battery. The amps are going to depend on how many cells you are using.

With a 13x6.5 and a 510kv motor you would want more cells not less as a 13 inch prop is relatively small for this motor. That is assuming you want to get the most thrust out of the system. If you don't need that much thrust you could setup a system with a 3s battery.

Go spend some time trying out different combinations over on the ecalc website. Doing this will help you get a better understanding of the different ways a 13x6.5 prop can be used and what size motors are reasonable.

https://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php

Last edited:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
So you have a propeller. Are you trying to build a plane around that propeller or doing something else? Please let us know so we can be more helpful.

danskis

Master member
You can save yourself a ton of $$$$ by building your plane around a $20 motor. Or just pick a plane that you like that recommends a $20 motor.