Quick 3D printed flying project

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Bah... Been a while since printing anything and the test print did not go well. (I always do small tests before big batches) Managed to completely mess up the print bed trying to get the failed attempt off, and now need to replace the BuildTak tape... <sigh> bad night all around after borking Baby Tri#1 also.... Glad there is a Holiday coming up to get everything back in order!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Dusted off the 3D printer the other night to print a camera adapter for an AWK210 build. Went ahead and printed some ABS on the borked up bed tape and it did ok. So I'll be throwing this on the printer tonight in Black ABS.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: Maybe I'll do two sets in both directions and use the Helbender to launch 4 at a time before tearing it down. What's it gonna hurt?? LOL

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Finally managed to get this printed off. :) Even have nuts that work with it as-is.
FunProp.jpg

Have a second set printing now. Should be able to maiden them this weekend. LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Nice, should work well in ABS - lighter and stronger!

I'm looking forward to playing with ours again soon now that the weather is starting to cool down. I still need to finish cleaning up the electronics. Adding an arduino even a nano is a big bulky...I have my little digistump digispark's which are pretty small...but still a bit clunky. Ideally a modified ESC firmware could do it all - but I'm not about to try and hac AVR assembly for this :D

And the big issue is of course how to fit a battery into the handle. Slinging it underneath is still the best I've come up with.

I really want it packaged up into a clean finished looking setup I can let my daughter and her friends use. Though...given how powerful it is letting 7 year olds run wild with it probably isn't a great idea anyway!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Though...given how powerful it is letting 7 year olds run wild with it probably isn't a great idea anyway!

Ahhh, but Dad, you can dial back the max RPM to a safe speed. ;-) Just means you need to play with it some more to figure out what "safe" speed means. I plan on doing remote testing via TX/RX link. Not sure I want to stand right next to it when I go full throttle on the 2300kv motor on 5S. ;-) Have RunCan HD v1 for the up close.

Cheers!
LitterBug

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Ahhh, but Dad, you can dial back the max RPM to a safe speed. ;-) Just means you need to play with it some more to figure out what "safe" speed means. I plan on doing remote testing via TX/RX link. Not sure I want to stand right next to it when I go full throttle on the 2300kv motor on 5S. ;-) Have RunCan HD v1 for the up close.

Cheers!
LitterBug

I'm not sure higher RPM really helps that much to be honest. I don't seem to get any additional altitude above a certain point - even on 3S :(

However I think a faster throttle cut would help. I'm just using a servo tester and can't immediately chop the throttle, I have to turn it down as quick as possible which isn't that quick while trying to hold this thing and a battery at the same time :) I suspect wiring it up with the arduino to controller throttle so it can instantly go from full throttle to zero with the benefit of active braking will give the best release and highest flights. Right now it seems like the release is where I'm losing most of my power as it sticks on there before launching. Maybe switching the ESC into 3D mode and having it go negative throttle for a split second would be best.....

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah we sent them up a few times and always found them all. It was amazing how they stayed clustered together. First time the quad actually started to take off so we ended up strapping it down to the table. The video above was the second run. Waiting on my buddy to post up the video from his phone from other angles. I'd guess 60-80 feet. Never really got above 50% throttle. Was running the motors up from the GCS output tab. Half tempted to bind a reciever up and launch it from the middle of the field after letting the quad leave the ground....