QX90 Questions- Eachine F3 board

FDS

Elite member
So I blew up my last FC board on my bargain QX90 ($8!) and I want to resurrect it. Here’s the situation.
  • I got an inbuilt FRsky receiver, which I have bound fine, despite annoyingly being D8 which isn’t supported on my EU Taranis. I had to use the Jumper.
  • I have no idea how to set the board up. Right now nothing happens when you power up. The RX just binds.
  • It doesn’t register at all in Betaflight, I just get the message saying something about only CLI mode being available.
  • I would like to set it up properly like I have all my other quads, with the rates I want etc.
  • I have a Mac which I could install more stuff on just for this build. It can’t stay on there as it’s a work machine.
  • There’s no other computers in the house, the ports didn’t work on the kids Chromebooks.
  • I don’t mind flashing it with new firmware or Betaflight but not 4.0, I couldn’t get it to do “diff all” in Betaflight to save or read any settings already on it.

What I need is a solution for getting the board to work, it’s using this board, any help appreciated. I couldn’t find much that made any sense on the web?

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
That video is all PC based.
I do get the same error message about betaflight not being supported but I am not sure that my board is the same as that one. I don’t want to install the wrong firmware on it if I can do the set up in Cleanflight to get going, but that runs off Google Chrome which I would have to install on my Mac, which is annoying.
I would like to read the target and save the default set up first too, no idea how to do that.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
That video is all PC based.
I do get the same error message about betaflight not being supported but I am not sure that my board is the same as that one. I don’t want to install the wrong firmware on it if I can do the set up in Cleanflight to get going, but that runs off Google Chrome which I would have to install on my Mac, which is annoying.
I would like to read the target and save the default set up first too, no idea how to do that.

The version command in the CLI will show the version and target. It's also shown in the log just below the BF logo, you may have to click on "Show Log" just under the Connect/Disconnect button and scroll up.

Cleanflight configurator is available as a standalone app now too - https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight-configurator/releases

FDS

Elite member
Update-
Thanks @ElectriSean and @PsyBorg, I was able to get to it all via the standalone cleanflight, I now have it flying. I have one problem now. It seems to yaw on its own, slowly, with no stick input and doesn’t always correct forward pitch when in self level. Any ideas?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Update-
Thanks @ElectriSean and @PsyBorg, I was able to get to it all via the standalone cleanflight, I now have it flying. I have one problem now. It seems to yaw on its own, slowly, with no stick input and doesn’t always correct forward pitch when in self level. Any ideas?

Assuming that you have your subtrim and deadband set up so your yaw isn't responding to radio commands, you can try increasing the yaw I gain. Start big - like double or more. If it helps but feels "stiff" back it off bit by bit. There is no worry of damaging anything by high I gain, just the stiff feeling.

Not sure what to say about the self leveling behavior except that you can increase the strength. Increasing pitch P gain may also help. Of course assuming that your accelerometers are calibrated properly.