RadioMaster Tx12 and ep1 link problem

capblack

Hello
I am very new to the ELRS system and I have noticed that if I turn on first the receiver does not detect the transmitter. I am using a TX12 and several EP1s, is this normal or a bug?
ExpressLRS V3.3.1
thank you

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Normally you should turn on the transmitter first. If the receiver sits for a minute without seeing the transmitter it is bound to, it will switch to being a wifi hotspot for configuration.

Have you already set up the binding phrase for the transmitter and receiver?

capblack

Thanks for the response, if I turn on the transmitter first everything is fine, the problem is if I turn on the receiver first, my doubt is what would happen if the link is cut because you are flying far away for example, will it no longer be possible to resume the connection?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The transmitter should always be turned on first. Once the link is established, the link should re-establish/resume if it is briefly lost.

You can test this by turning off the transmitter after the link is established, and then turning it back on.

capblack

Ok I see that if I turn off the transmitter briefly the link is established, so is this normal then? because I have many DJI Futaba Turnigy transmitters where the link is always established regardless of the firing order.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Best practice is to turn the TX on first. Some receivers will go in to bind mode if they don't see the TX they are bound to when powered up. The default behavior for Express LRS receivers is to switch to WIFI mode for configuration if they don't see the TX within 60 seconds. Depending on the config of the ELRS TX and RX, it can take quite a while for the connection to establish when first powering up. The RX will cycle through all the Packet Rates till it matches the TX. If you set the RX to match the packet rate of the TX, it will connect almost instantly when powering up.

The opposite is true of powering down. Power the model/RX off BEFORE turning off the TX.

LB