Radiomaster TX16s buddy lead

henrik04

Radiomaster TX16s buddy lead

Beware:
1) - 3 pins 3.5mm jack won't work.
2) - There are two types of 4 pins 3.5mm jack:
- A short one (won't work.) FC68124 - 3.5mm 4 pole Jack Plug, Assembly type: Won't work as wrongly mentioned somewhere else in this forum!
- A long one (This is the only one that will work correctly) FC68122C

See attached related documents .
Cheers.
Henri

Attachments

• FC68124.JPG
    FC68124.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FC68122C.JPG
    FC68122C.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 0

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Buddy leads are mono pole plugs with a tip and a ground ring, not those 4 pole A/V connectors.
16336471210504570096066714477965.jpg

DO NOT USE THE 4 POLE A/V PLUGS FOR A SINGLE POLE JACK!!! THE 4 pole plug is your problem.

Last edited:

henrik04

A 4 pin socket is meant to have a 4 pin jack. Actually using a non matching jack is the sure way to have problem.
As shown on the photo, GND and Signal out are needed to work properly with a Phoenix RC simulator. Model set as slave out.
Using a 2 pin jack will short the signal and that won't do.

I don't have a problem, I did using a 2 or 3 pin jack!

Cheers
Henri

Attachments

• TX16S-trainer-port.JPG
    TX16S-trainer-port.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 0

LitterBug

Techno Nut
A 4 pin socket is meant to have a 4 pin jack. Actually using a non matching jack is the sure way to have problem.
As shown on the photo, GND and Signal out are needed to work properly with a Phoenix RC simulator. Model set as slave out.
Using a 2 pin jack will short the signal and that won't do.

I don't have a problem, I did using a 2 or 3 pin jack!

Cheers
Henri

Here's the thing, They actually expect it to be a 2 conductor plug with Tip and ground like they show on their FAQ. They use the other conductors in the socket to detect that the plug is in by sensing the short to ground.

EDIT, that said, I am going to do more playing with my RM TX16S to verify all this, because I have several projects like head tracking, USB Joystick to trainer port via arduino, etc that will not work with my current cable ends if the RM does not use the tip for signal.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
EGADS! I do believe you now! I had to bend the (C) socket pin in the radio down to make a more consistent connection.

With that said, you should short the A/B pins in your cable for proper insertion detection.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been playing with the head tracking on an older pair of FatShark Goggles. Yaw drift is horrendousz which is probably why I never used it for more than a test in the past. Going to finish up another headtracker that uses the compass in addition to the yaw gyro for almost drift free tracking. using an arduino 33ble, so technically could use bluetooth wireless to the TX16S if I add a bluetooth module to one of the serial ports. Going to go with PPM for now.

I have 2 Radiomaster TX16S that I use as a Buddy pair. I have connected them via mono (2 pin) buddy cabbles, 3pin buddy cables and also 4 pin buddy cables. With all buddy leads I have had either intermittent connectivity issues between the Master transmitter and the student transmitter or no connectivity. I have pressed the individual tabs of the trainer port pin connector inwards and that didn't solve the problem. The issues is that I can get a trainer signal connection but it is very frequently loosing this connection with the 'Trainer Signal lost/ Trainer signal recovered' audio comment. I have even tried installing small rubber o-rings so that the Pin plug doesn't go too far in and that didn't work

I have subsequently fitted a 4:1 module on the back of the Master transmitter in order to get a wifi connection. It has generally been woking ok however today, even with using a wifi buddy connection I got the 'Trainer Signal lost/ Trainer signal recovered' audio comment. I tried moving the aerials around and changing the spacing between the transmitters but this didn't stop the issue from happening. Both transmitters are fitted with 5000mAh 7.4 Lipos and were showing 4 or 5 bars on the battery life icon.

I'm generally happy with the transmitters but the unreliability of the Buddy system is a definte issue. Have others had the same issue and how did you fix it. There are various different wifi binding protocols that can be used between the transmitters. For robustness do they have to be some specific combination (other than compatable type between Student on Master ie SBUS or similar)?

Many thanks.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
There are two methods of wireless connection.
1. Bind the external module to the student transmitter and the internal module to the receiver in your model.
2. Bind the internal module to the student transmitter and the external module to the receiver.
I have personally used the second option with great success. However, the external module you choose and receiver you are binding to will possibly have an impact.
I swear by FRsky, so use an XJT external module. It has the option to bind to other protocols but I prefer to use ACCST, this allows me to use a variety of FRsky receivers and Radiomaster receivers using D8.
As for the the buddy lead, its a specific to the Radiomaster a standard off the shelf jack plug has different dimensions, as my good mate keeps reminding me.
1643652990148.jpg

w1lp33 said:
"The issue I had with mine was the little metal tabs on the female jack inside the radio weren't pressed in enough to make solid contact with the male end of the plug.
I had huge issues with the trainer cable until I talked to Radiomaster support. They suggested I open the case, and gently push the metal tabs in a little bit further so they made more solid contact. Solved all my issues. So this is another thing you can try if you're having trainer cable issues."
Psyborg said:
That is common with all 3.5 mm jacks be it in a radio we use to fly, mp3 players, or headphone jacks on anything that uses them. They have very low life span repetitive connection counts because they are so small and that pole used for main contact is so thin and not real good spring steel like the older 1/4 inch jacks used in musical instruments. sometimes they get plugged in enough the plating on the contact wears off and they corrode as well IF the unit last that long without the issue you had.

Hope this helps, if you need I can post the exact set-up I used (y)

Thanks for the reply. Like yourself I use the internal transmitter to bind to the Student. I have this set up for 4 individual models that I can fly in Buddy configuration. In order to ensure there isn't any cross issues I'm using different protocols for each model however I'm unsure if I should just use one with different Receiver numbers for each student binding. I did try that but was getting error messages about set ups being used with other model configurations and was worried about then having to constantly rebind every time I used a specific model.

What Specific cables are you showing above and where would I have to go to get them. Thanks.

Last edited: