Random prop questions (size, brand, frequency)

Twitchity was kind enough to sell me three SunnySky 2212 980kv motors with ESCs for a tricopter build. I'm considering buying a 4th motor/esc so I don't have the learning curve with the rear motor on the tricopter. Most 450 size frames suggest a range of motors and props around 8x4 or 10x4.5.

1) Am I right in thinking I want a bigger prop with these slower motors?

I plan to crash frequently so I'm looking at these turnigy 1045 props. I'll buy several packs for each motor as I'm planning to use different colors for the front blades for orientation.

2) Has anyone used the turnigy props? Complaints?

3) While shopping, it made me start to think, statistically, are certain props on a quad more likely to break? eg, front vs back due to head on collisions?

-Mike

Twitchity

I think any of those props will work, but I'd stick with at least a 9" or larger prop depending on how much your frame weighs. I was running the cheap 1045 props from HK on my tri and they seemed to work alright. If you think you'll need more thrust you can always run the 1145 props, but I wouldn't go any larger.

From my flying I found it doesn't matter if the prop is on the front or back, they both get broken just as much. I was going to do the same thing with those motors/ESCs and build a 450 quad with 1045 props, but I decided against it as I enjoy my minis way too much.

is there a preferred brand you guys are using? Gemfan, turnigy, no name "slow fly"?

Also, the naze32 should work on this? I read that it's preferred for smaller multirotos. 450 is small right? oO

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Naze 32 will work fine on a 450.

Props are a cost thing. While you are learning, learn on cheap nylon props from HobbyKing. They take crashes better, cost less to repair and are less likely to remove your thumb if you do something stupid than a 10" carbon fiber prop.

When you get good enough to notice the difference and are experienced enough to not synch your ESCs or test failsafe with the props on, carbon fiber rotors perform better.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Twitchity was kind enough to sell me three SunnySky 2212 980kv motors with ESCs for a tricopter build. I'm considering buying a 4th motor/esc so I don't have the learning curve with the rear motor on the tricopter. Most 450 size frames suggest a range of motors and props around 8x4 or 10x4.5.

I have those exact same motors. I fly them with 10x4.5 on 3S and think they're good performers. If you want a little more responsiveness, go down to something like 9x4 or 9x5. I think that flight time and overall performance will be compromised on 8", without much benefit, but that's just a guess. I think you would want closer to a 1200 or 1400 kv if you were going down to 8".

Thank you for the recommendations. I decided to go with the 450 sized first mostly because Twitchity helped me out and the larger quads seem to fly more stable. It will be easier to learn on I think in acro mode.

PhenomPilot

I usually order some cheap 10x4.5 props from banggood.com. They vary in quallity so you need to balance them before use. They also usually take 3weeks to get...