• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Recommended build that is smaller than FT Explorer for complete noob

Hello builders,

I am brand new to this hobby. I loved the build of my FT Explorer but I am learning that it is too large for my current flying area(at my skill level). I am looking for a build that I can fly in a slightly smaller than one acre field (surrounded by 70ft tall trees). I have considered the FT Tiny Trainer, the FT Simple Cub, and the Versa wing but I am open to anything that can be a good learner.

Also, I have used my Taranis with simulators on my computer and I find 4 channel easier to fly. Should I just go 4 channel off the bat? Bank and yank seems more intuitive to me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Given the size of your field I would recommend the old "Yank and Bank" at this time. I am not sure of your actual flight experience but if it is not extensive I would plug for something as close to indestructible as is possible. Whilst there are a few wings in the FT offering as well as the forum posts I would go for something very collision resistant, (even collisions with the ground).

You could build one of these: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/collaborators-build-1-800-mm-kfm-flying-wing.54085/

Where I fly there are many, (almost everyone has one), and we use them for dogfighting and even racing with huge motors fitted. I have observed many crashes and other issues but ALL are still flying. Only repairs required so far have been a few servos and the odd propeller!

Just my thoughts!

Have fun!