Recommended model for playing in onshore wind?

Hey folks! I’ll be staying in a place where there is a steady onshore wind, and big broad beaches at low tide. I’m planning to have a FT kit (or two?) delivered to the house so I can build and fly in the weeks I’m there. I’d like to “play” in the wind, learning to glide better, maybe see how long I can keep aloft without power, etc, but I’ll need something that doesn’t simply get carried away in a stiff breeze. Floats are a bonus, but not a requirement.

What do you recommend?

I’ve been bouncing back and forth between the tutor, the storch, and the bushwhacker - any one of these a better fit than the others? Anything I’ve missed and should consider?

A few contextual thoughts: I’m a solid intermediate flier, basic takeoffs and landings, simple aerobatics, etc. I would love to build another Sea Duck, but that build is a little too involved, and the plane a little too big for this trip. I really DON’T like the way the simple cub flew, especially with floats, so that’s out of the mix (as well as anything that flies similar). Planes I’ve really enjoyed are the Sea Duck, Simple Scout, and Tiny Trainer.

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
versa wing. FT did a video on slope soaring them several years ago. quick, simple build just like you need.

good luck,

me :cool:

quorneng

Master member
Most power plane designs are not likely to slope soar well.
To slope soar you need to be able to fly fairly fast yet not sink too quickly whilst doing it. In other words the design has to be a low drag design and ideally one that can fly both slowly and fast all without using power as well as being pretty robust, you will be flying in relatively strong winds.
Slope soaring does of course require a slope for the wind to blow up. The slope has to be steeper than the plane sinks when gliding faster than the wind speed to be able to maintain or gain height.
Depending on the slope available and the wind speed something like the Versa Wing should be able to slope soar however most glider designs can slope soar in suitable conditions.
There are plenty of 'beach soaring' videos on YouTube to show you what its like.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the Versa.
I’ve never sloped as I live in the Midwest. When the conditions for thermals are good, I’ve had som 30+ minute flights with my Versa.

I suspect the Tiny Trainer and the Simple Soarer would be ideal.

Andrew Newton has a number of videos about sloping.

Last edited:
@InsatiableAmos you never said anything about slope soaring, just a steady onshore wind, right? (Sounds like a blast either way.)

True - I won’t actually be slope soaring… Just a steady brisk breeze onshore, on a big flat beach. Goal would be to play in the wind like a seagull - see if I can get my ground speed = zero, then peel off and shoot down the beach to touch-and-go my way back, etc…

Never considered a wing. Those kinda rule out touch and gos, huh?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i really like the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach to doing stuff like this. adding gear for a "touch and go" just adds weight and complexity. if you want to be successful and have fun, keep it simple. also, why add power when you may not need? if you want to test limits build as light or heavy as needed. i would go see what winds were and build just heavy enough wing to penetrate. once you got that it's all on the pilot. you should need 2 servos, 1 receiver, a BEC, and enough battery to ballast.

my vote is still for the versa.

laters,

True - I won’t actually be slope soaring… Just a steady brisk breeze onshore, on a big flat beach. Goal would be to play in the wind like a seagull - see if I can get my ground speed = zero, then peel off and shoot down the beach to touch-and-go my way back, etc…

Never considered a wing. Those kinda rule out touch and gos, huh?
So the question was Is there a particular relatively simple plane that would be more suited to this sort of a "game"?
Trying to imagine being on a wide beach in a good steady breeze, I like @dap35 's stabilizer suggestion, when the wind can zig zag you on a moment's notice, and you're flying relatively stable, really close to yourself without a lot of wiggle room... But you're either doing stabilizers or you're not.

No need for this to be a giant engineering project. I'm just favoring something that'll get batted around by the wind less. So, not necessarily the smallest or lightest or most floaty plane. Or, it depends on the breeze characteristics.

I love the idea of a "powered glider" sort of thing. And "best glider" or "best glide ratio" doesn't equate with "lightest" or "slowest".

I'm thinking if it were me I'd follow these three general guidelines:
1. Whatever plane you use, you'll have a lot of fun.

I was wrong. There was only one general guideline. :)

Actually, if “not getting batted around by the wind a lot” is an important criteria, what about me or the warbirds? I’ve read the non-master-series, non-mini spitfire and mustang are both fairly stable/easy to fly, and their inherent design should be a little less susceptible to gusts, no?

They’re definitely not gliders, but maybe that’s ok…

Actually, if “not getting batted around by the wind a lot” is an important criteria, what about me or the warbirds? I’ve read the non-master-series, non-mini spitfire and mustang are both fairly stable/easy to fly, and their inherent design should be a little less susceptible to gusts, no?

They’re definitely not gliders, but maybe that’s ok…
I wonder what sort of wind speed you'll be experiencing? And I wonder how steady is a steady breeze. :unsure:
But I'm just guessing along with you. I'm sure not the one to answer these questions!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
my vote is still for the versa but there is documented proof you can slope soar a FT Spitfire. not sure you will have those kind of winds though...

the place i always stay in mexico is on a western beach with a nice uplift. i have always wanted to try, even took glider once, but never got around to it. other priorities. :sneaky:

good luck,

Tench745

Master member
There was no mention in the original post of any kind of slope, just a steady wind and wide open beaches.

Just about anything would fly nicely in this. Smaller planes will struggle more than larger ones if the winds get gusty or start shifting a lot. And any planes with marginal power systems will struggle in stronger winds.

Zooming, touch-and-goes, gentle flying, slowing way down, all sounds like a high-wing trainer with nice, sturdy landing gear would be a good candidate. Something like the FT Storch or maybe the Bushwacker. I've heard the bushwacker can be a bit of a handful for newer pilots, but haven't flown it myself to comment meaningfully.

Last edited:
There was no mention in the original post of any kind of slope, just a steady wing and wide open beaches.

Just about anything would fly nicely in this. Smaller planes will struggle more than larger ones if the winds get gusty or start shifting a lot. And any planes with marginal power systems will struggle in stronger winds.

Zooming, touch-and-goes, gentle flying, slowing way down, all sounds like a high-wing trainer with nice, sturdy landing gear would be a good candidate. Something like the FT Storch or maybe the Bushwacker. I've heard the bushwacker can be a bit of a handful for newer pilots, but haven't flown it myself to comment meaningfully.
Best, most direct and to-the-point answer ever. Bravo.

For the record, I went with an FT Tutor and a power pack C in case I needed to fight the wind.

In short, the high wing trainer setup has been perfect for the flying I’m doing, and the Tutor has the newer-style FT landing gear (wood doubler + zip-ties) so I’ve been enjoying plenty of touch-and-goes with my 4.5” foam wheels ;)

Unfortunately, I haven’t been brave enough to take it out on one of the days with real winds, but rolling takeoffs in the beach at sunset are spectacular.

As someone else said, the lift/drag ratio is important for soaring-like tendencies, and I think the Tutor (with huge 4.5” wheels) has a LOT of drag - probably too much to really soar. It really slows down fast as soon as I cut throttle, and I’ve had much more luck “soaring” with an FT Tiny Trainer with the polyhedral wing.

Tench745

Master member
For the record, I went with an FT Tutor and a power pack C in case I needed to fight the wind.

In short, the high wing trainer setup has been perfect for the flying I’m doing, and the Tutor has the newer-style FT landing gear (wood doubler + zip-ties) so I’ve been enjoying plenty of touch-and-goes with my 4.5” foam wheels ;)

Unfortunately, I haven’t been brave enough to take it out on one of the days with real winds, but rolling takeoffs in the beach at sunset are spectacular.

As someone else said, the lift/drag ratio is important for soaring-like tendencies, and I think the Tutor (with huge 4.5” wheels) has a LOT of drag - probably too much to really soar. It really slows down fast as soon as I cut throttle, and I’ve had much more luck “soaring” with an FT Tiny Trainer with the polyhedral wing.

Glad to hear you've found a solution that works for you and you're having fun! Got any pics or video for us here in the frozen north?