Road to aerobatic flying - Just getting started? Post here!(Also about Transmitters)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yup, DX8G2 Spektrum transmitter and all Spektrum receivers in my planes, cars and boats, never any issue ever. I did loose connection once while in FPV, but was also a mile away with standard gear and not long range gear, so I thinks that's pretty darn good and I got control back immediately when the signal came back which was within a few seconds. I also live in a high noise environment thats puts any radio system to the test in Seattle, WA.

I always read about people having issues with off brands and radio systems that you can tinker with and I just don't want to take chances or tinker with my radio gear as I just want it to work reliably and thats what Spektrum provides.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I am guessing, but maybe your having brown outs, overloading the ESC's built in BEC, but without knowing all the details it's hard to guess. I do know the foam board planes can sometimes tax the servos if you don't get the hinge lines cut clean and there is too much resistance for the servos to overcome then you could have brownouts. With Spektrum receivers you can use telemetry to see if your loosing signal, but that will require some research and reading to get it set up. I use Spektrum telemetry receivers so I have a constant flow of information talking to me on my radio so I know if there is an issue and my radio can be set up for data logging also and then pull the card and review on the computer later to see if there is issues. All this requires study, reading and experimentation with persistence. Flying isn't easy all the time, but once you get it all dialed in it will work with no issues ever...

Bricks

Master member
I hope it works out too. it can be taxing to see a perfectly good model lost to technical issues.

It happens to all radio systems it is just Spektrum about out sells all other radios combined so there is a tendency to here more about them. Many of the problems are newbies and have to give Spektrum some blame as there cheaper radios have only one antenna in the transmitter, and what do most people do is point the radio at the plane, worse thing one can possibly do.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It happens to all radio systems it is just Spektrum about out sells all other radios combined so there is a tendency to here more about them. Many of the problems are newbies and have to give Spektrum some blame as there cheaper radios have only one antenna in the transmitter, and what do most people do is point the radio at the plane, worse thing one can possibly do.
It is a comedy of rookie mistakes for sure. I wish I knew about other transmitter options before i purchased the DXe. Even if i would have spent another $60 at the time i would probably been in a better position with spektrum. If i would have gone up to the DX6 it could have been a totally different story. I did't really start learning about transmitters till after, mostly by trying to diagnose the issues I was having. Over time i tried to make it work, was on over half a dozen phone calls to Spektrum customer service, they sent me a new tx for free. All in the end i couldn't get it to work consistently. One day I could fly with no issues, the next day, same spot, same plane, same set up, it would lose the signal. This LOS would go on for weeks, testing and trying to fly, then I would change receivers and all would be good for a month or so, then it would degrade again. The last receiver i bought wasn't working right out of the box, range test just like my other receivers failed bad in less then 100 feet. Had to make the change

Piotrsko

Master member
Really dumb question: thought about Ma Bell and those kilowatt tight beam routing transmitters that magically operate in the 2.4 commercial band during high use times? LOS can be a function of front end saturation.