Rolls and Loops

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
Well, may not be dihedral, but when I try to roll a big glow trainer on ClearView they always drop.
I suppose you are right.

Most planes will drop in a roll because part way through there is no wing area holding the plane up. Especially with a trainer which won't roll quickly due to small ailerons, it will spend more time in the liftless state. A good aerobatic plane will only need a touch of rudder during a roll, regardless of the rotational speed.

earthsciteach

Here's the part where I'm going to talk a good game, i.e., out of my butt.

For a slow rolling plane or a slow roll, all control surfaces must be involved. To enter the roll, pull slightly back on the stick raising the nose above the horizon. As the plane rolls to 90 degrees (wings perpendicular to the ground) the elevator is eased to the neutral position (while stick is still imparting roll to the ailerons) and the rudder is eased in to keep the nose on the horizon. As the plane continues to roll to inverted, the stick is eased forward to keep the nose on the horizon while the rudder is eased back to neutral. As the plane continues to roll past inverted, the elevator is eased back to neutral and rudder is eased in to keep the nose on the horizon. As the plane rolls past 270 degrees, up elevator is eased in to keep the nose on the horizon and rudder is eased back to neutral.

If you have a fast rolling airplane like a 3d plane, you can ignore this. 3d planes offend my sensibilities for some reason. If you have a park flyer, you can ignore this. You can't really tell if the nose is on the horizon from the ground, anyway (ok-if you fly fpv you can). But it just doesn't really matter that much anyway. If you are flying an rc plane large enough to worry about this, then you are so far above my abilities that I wouldn't listen to me if I were you.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
Here's the part where I'm going to talk a good game, i.e., out of my butt.

For a slow rolling plane or a slow roll, all control surfaces must be involved. To enter the roll, pull slightly back on the stick raising the nose above the horizon. As the plane rolls to 90 degrees (wings perpendicular to the ground) the elevator is eased to the neutral position (while stick is still imparting roll to the ailerons) and the rudder is eased in to keep the nose on the horizon. As the plane continues to roll to inverted, the stick is eased forward to keep the nose on the horizon while the rudder is eased back to neutral. As the plane continues to roll past inverted, the elevator is eased back to neutral and rudder is eased in to keep the nose on the horizon. As the plane rolls past 270 degrees, up elevator is eased in to keep the nose on the horizon and rudder is eased back to neutral.

If you have a fast rolling airplane like a 3d plane, you can ignore this. 3d planes offend my sensibilities for some reason. If you have a park flyer, you can ignore this. You can't really tell if the nose is on the horizon from the ground, anyway (ok-if you fly fpv you can). But it just doesn't really matter that much anyway. If you are flying an rc plane large enough to worry about this, then you are so far above my abilities that I wouldn't listen to me if I were you.

You're very close. A perfect slow roll is basically what you said, but you don't put elevator in before the roll. On a plane going in with enough speed for a slow roll, that would make the roll be performed while climbing. The nose needs to only point up while in the knife edge of the roll, as the lift you are getting is from the side of the fuselage.

Josh Scott

I'm guessing the only time Josh Scott flies is when he's in front of the camera. It doesn't seem like he's picked up RC flight as a hobby. I wonder if he has any planes at home or RC equipment so he can go fly at the local park after work or anything.

You're right, most of the time I get to spend flying is either on camera, or immediately following a shoot on a nice day when the crew takes a half hour to fly for fun before the sun goes down. I really enjoy every chance I get to fly and doing this show is one of my favorite things. But unfortunately you guys only get to see one facet of my life.

My full time job is not just a 40-hour-a-week clock, clock out, leave your work at work kinda job. It literally consumes my life :) not because it's demanding or my bosses are dictators, but because it's what I was created to do. And I can't do the job well unless I live it and give it everything I have. If you want you can watch this video to get a small taste if what it is I do: http://vimeo.com/channels/192539#32521416

I love what I do, so I'm not talking bad about it, but when all is said and done it leaves very little time for other things, and my normal interaction with my wife and son is: come home, eat dinner, spend a half hour with them, then head to bed. So if I get some extra time throughout the week, you better believe I'm going to spend it with them! So naturally, this leaves even less time for the hobbies I enjoy: baseball, softball, bike-riding, and new to the list: flying RC planes.

I'm not trying to make excuses or tell you a sad story (I love my life and the purpose I derive from it). But there seems to be a high demand for an explanation of why I've progressed so slowly as a pilot. Obviously, I always want to improve (and I am, although slowly). But hey, as long as I'm providing for my family (financially and with quality time), fulfilling my purpose in life, being a part of changing lives for the better, and remaining relatible to all the RC noobs out there...I'm happy with me. :)

You guys can feel free to repost this if you want to any time the topic comes up. It's a lot for me to re-type over and over again :p

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Josh, excellent explanation. I think it would be a great addition to your profile. That would make it easy to access and share.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
JS, it sounds like your cup runneth over, my friend. That was a wonderful post and an awesome video. Was that you at 1:17?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
My wife loves you guys btw. lol, she always says "they sound like the nicest bunch of people" or "they seem like truly genuine nice people" etc. Every time I play an episode, she'll listen in and make comments like that. We really need more people in this world like you guys.

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
You're a good man, Josh Scott. Thanks for all you do for those young people. It's all about priorities, brother.