Runaway Planes: biggest loss and close calls

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Wish it was salvageable. Most things were destroyed including 3 100 dollar servos. The engine is in for repair so we hope ot is save-able. The problem is that the tail is too big to really put on one of our walls without being an obstacle.

Good luck with the engine and whatever plane you will put it on next 🙂

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
About the Versa wing monthly combat, it seems very similar to something that is common at my field, but instead of the Versa Wing we use the Crash Test Hobby Assassin wing which is practically indestructible. If you and a few other members think it would be worth a try you could get the three pack and save money.http://www.crashtesthobby.com/assassin-39.html. It is just an idea because every club is different and it is already hard enough to find ones that ever fly combat ;)

LOL funny you should say they're "indestructible".

1572932507233.png

This is a picture of our club president holding his Assassin that was cut in half by a Versa Wing during a midair, 2 months ago. :) And we LOVE doing this sort of stuff. :)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
WOAH! I haven't seen an Assassin like that, usually ours spiral in but the looks brutal 😱

LOL I thought you might like that. We were all kinda shocked, but sometimes when you hit them at full speed in a dive, just right...:) And it was split in half in midair. I wasn't flying in that event, but I heard it and just turned around to see pieces falling from the sky. It wasn't a pretty sight. But our prez, Steve, was smiling just the same because he was having fun with it. He got his pieces back and said, "Oh man...My Assassin was assassinated!"

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I lost my FPV long range glider more than once.
First time was shortly after getting it, I was flying it FPV at a field with the camera under the plastic canopy (do not do that) and could barely see anything, I flew behind terrain by accident and lost video signal so I switched the RTH on but it had already crashed. I walked over to where i thought it was and I found it, only one aileron and one flap were ripped off as well as the canopy. Let me tell you, the volantex ASW-28 is really solid

The second time was much more recent, I tried to do a waypoint mission but the aircraft flipped out because it was badly tuned and pulled some high Gs which confused the flight controller about what "level" should be, that would have been fine if I didnt have to chase off a bee shortly after. I had the plane in angle mode but because of the horizon drift it spiraled downward into a field and "landed" with nearly no damage.
IMG_20190617_145148.jpg

I guess my only real loss is when I flew my canadair into a tree on an island because of badly estimated distance and alt
DSC_8520.JPG
I had to wait 3 months for it to fall out of the tree and get a ride to the island, it was only missing one wing half and the electronics are still working.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I lost my FPV long range glider more than once.
First time was shortly after getting it, I was flying it FPV at a field with the camera under the plastic canopy (do not do that) and could barely see anything, I flew behind terrain by accident and lost video signal so I switched the RTH on but it had already crashed. I walked over to where i thought it was and I found it, only one aileron and one flap were ripped off as well as the canopy. Let me tell you, the volantex ASW-28 is really solid

The second time was much more recent, I tried to do a waypoint mission but the aircraft flipped out because it was badly tuned and pulled some high Gs which confused the flight controller about what "level" should be, that would have been fine if I didnt have to chase off a bee shortly after. I had the plane in angle mode but because of the horizon drift it spiraled downward into a field and "landed" with nearly no damage.
View attachment 147456

I guess my only real loss is when I flew my canadair into a tree on an island because of badly estimated distance and alt
View attachment 147457
I had to wait 3 months for it to fall out of the tree and get a ride to the island, it was only missing one wing half and the electronics are still working.

I hate it when RC planes land on rocks because it puts dents in it or tears open holes in covering. my field only has a few rocky areas that aren't manmade (like the pilot stands or parking area) and during a combat I went down right on the rocks so dust went flying instead of dirt and water which made me worried for a second because I thought the lipo or esc died. That glider is pretty durable.

SportyModder

I had a scary moment with my park zone Sukhoi Su29. I took off after a surface check one afternoon at my club airfield. As I climbed out I lost control. The plane was in a climb and pitching slowly to the left. It rolled into a knife edge and into inverted in a matter of about 10 seconds, and suddenly I had control again. I got her level again and decided to bring her in from the left. I put her into a left bank, and lost her again, rolling again to the left but this time towards the pits of the club field. I was panicking until she came almost all the way back over again. I regained control again and managed to get her to turn towards the strip with the throttle low before I lost her for the last time. She actually self landed in the tall grass next to the runway as my buddy accompanied me on the walk of shame. As I got close, I had control of her again.
Post crash inspection revealed, my ex antennae had come loose, and was under the battery, thus blocking signal. This was one plane I never really liked and never enjoyed flying. I tried selling it a few times, then giving it away. No success lol. I managed to break off the tail in a move 2 weeks ago I think it may live as a foam board airplane in the near future.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I had a scary moment with my park zone Sukhoi Su29. I took off after a surface check one afternoon at my club airfield. As I climbed out I lost control. The plane was in a climb and pitching slowly to the left. It rolled into a knife edge and into inverted in a matter of about 10 seconds, and suddenly I had control again. I got her level again and decided to bring her in from the left. I put her into a left bank, and lost her again, rolling again to the left but this time towards the pits of the club field. I was panicking until she came almost all the way back over again. I regained control again and managed to get her to turn towards the strip with the throttle low before I lost her for the last time. She actually self landed in the tall grass next to the runway as my buddy accompanied me on the walk of shame. As I got close, I had control of her again.
Post crash inspection revealed, my ex antennae had come loose, and was under the battery, thus blocking signal. This was one plane I never really liked and never enjoyed flying. I tried selling it a few times, then giving it away. No success lol. I managed to break off the tail in a move 2 weeks ago I think it may live as a foam board airplane in the near future.

I have seen one at my field and it doesn't seem to fly all that well. They must not have a strong tail section because his also has a broken part of the tail. I think that Eflite's Extra is a worthy replacement. I do wish they brought back the Ultimate though, it is missed much more than the Sukhoi at my field.

SportyModder

I have seen one at my field and it doesn't seem to fly all that well. They must not have a strong tail section because his also has a broken part of the tail. I think that Eflite's Extra is a worthy replacement. I do wish they brought back the Ultimate though, it is missed much more than the Sukhoi at my field.

Meh a benchtop drill press fell on the tail, broke the rudder and h stab off the fuse It would be a simple matter to repair.... It has always been my Elanor,(Gone in 60 Seconds referance) I can fly it just fine, I just don't like to. I am always a nervous wreck whenever I do, and I do not know why.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Made quite a few flights with my Strix nano Goblin before throwing inav on it. This was maiden on inav with an attempt to autotune. FC locked up and all I could do is throttle down and disarm.

Knocked the nose clean off. I have glued it back together with FoamTac, and just need to rebuild a 10mm hole that remains.
GoblinGlued.jpg

Cheers!
LB

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Made quite a few flights with my Strix nano Goblin before throwing inav on it. This was maiden on inav with an attempt to autotune. FC locked up and all I could do is throttle down and disarm.

Knocked the nose clean off. I have glued it back together with FoamTac, and just need to rebuild a 10mm hole that remains.
View attachment 147616
Cheers!
LB
Foam tac will work wonders. Good luck with future flights.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I fixed the Snow otter from before and it is a better plane now. I added anti stall fences to keep the stall from travelling from the tips of the wing. I was recently watching videos on the subject and I made them slightly large and spaced them far enough apart. If anyone is building a swept forward wing plane and not confident then putting these closer to the fuselage will result in less stalls. For normal wings and swept back ones, near the edge is better because that is where the stall first forms. The snow came to town again and it may stick so I am ready for snow ops.
1573785120255.jpg
1573785136137.jpg
1573785155031.jpg
1573785167078.jpg

FastCrash45

Elite member
My story is short and sad but later in life, very funny. I spent 7 months building the Kobra. I had an extra large fuel tank and an oversized engine. I was questionable on how the on off switch was located and the quality of the switch. I got it all started up and everything moved correctly but had to hand launch this beautiful bird because all that was around was a rough road. I let my motor warm up a bit and gave it a gentle toss. It was at wide open throttle. It left my hand and as soon as it left I knew there was a problem. The switch was mounted low on the side and it brushed my thumb as it screamed out of my hand. It flew perfectly straight with it gaining altitude. I moved every stick on the tx even though I knew that thumb brushing the switch turned off the receiver. The last I sa was it flying over the hiltop, nice and level and fast. I figured it had 15 minutesi of fuel and probably hit the ground some 40-50 miles northeast of me in the woods of The Rampart Range in Colorado. I now congratulate myself on how well I built that plane. No trimming was needed as it quickly became tiny in my eye sight. I thought the switch was mounted backwards but I followed the instructions. I knew the switch was cheap but I didn't replace it. I now still congratulate myself on how well I put all that balsa together.

kilroy07

Legendary member
So, this was before I learned about antenna orientation and signal interference...
it may also have been an equipment failure as when I removed the receiver one of the antenna just pulled out..
Anyway the video says it all...

Maybe a lesson for the newbies (I still consider myself one btw.)
Don’t give up!!

This was my first “flight” with my new radian and I was SO heartbroken....
She sat in the boneyard for a couple months... once I ordered a new fuselage I started work putting her back together. She’s had all servos up graded to metal gear, laminated wings and currently flies with a lemon receiver. Spektrum repaired the receiver at no cost (but did not offer a replacement fuselage...) 😕

But she’s an active member of my hanger now!

OliverW

Legendary member
My story is short and sad but later in life, very funny. I spent 7 months building the Kobra. I had an extra large fuel tank and an oversized engine. I was questionable on how the on off switch was located and the quality of the switch. I got it all started up and everything moved correctly but had to hand launch this beautiful bird because all that was around was a rough road. I let my motor warm up a bit and gave it a gentle toss. It was at wide open throttle. It left my hand and as soon as it left I knew there was a problem. The switch was mounted low on the side and it brushed my thumb as it screamed out of my hand. It flew perfectly straight with it gaining altitude. I moved every stick on the tx even though I knew that thumb brushing the switch turned off the receiver. The last I sa was it flying over the hiltop, nice and level and fast. I figured it had 15 minutesi of fuel and probably hit the ground some 40-50 miles northeast of me in the woods of The Rampart Range in Colorado. I now congratulate myself on how well I built that plane. No trimming was needed as it quickly became tiny in my eye sight. I thought the switch was mounted backwards but I followed the instructions. I knew the switch was cheap but I didn't replace it. I now still congratulate myself on how well I put all that balsa together.
Ugh that sucks. I am in the finishing stages of a kobra right now

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So, this was before I learned about antenna orientation and signal interference...
it may also have been an equipment failure as when I removed the receiver one of the antenna just pulled out..
Anyway the video says it all...

Maybe a lesson for the newbies (I still consider myself one btw.)
Don’t give up!!

This was my first “flight” with my new radian and I was SO heartbroken....
She sat in the boneyard for a couple months... once I ordered a new fuselage I started work putting her back together. She’s had all servos up graded to metal gear, laminated wings and currently flies with a lemon receiver. Spektrum repaired the receiver at no cost (but did not offer a replacement fuselage...) 😕

But she’s an active member of my hanger now!

Glad you got it fixed, at FF a night Radian crashed through a tent after it flew into the sun, luckily the wing spar of yours stayed in, that is probably a more costly damage 🙂