SAFE Technology Initialisation Issue

gazza

I have recently purchased the Horizon Sport Cub S.

The manual states that the SAFE Technology should be tested before each flight by moving the plane in the 3 axis
and ensuring the relevant servo activates.

I am finding that the ailerons and elevators activate correctly but the rudder does not move at all.
The rudder does move using the transmitter just not via SAFE.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Is there a trick to testing the rudder in SAFE mode?

Thanks in advance
Gary

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
That response is normal, SAFE corrects with ailerons and elevator. That is all it needs to get to level flight. You don't need to "test" the rudder, you just need to test that SAFE is working and yours is.

gree2056

I will just tell you the sport cub is tough, I learned on it and still have it. It has had a rough life, motor has been reglued in 10 times tape all over.

Then yesterday it got in a fight with a quad copter.... both crash but the cub was in bad shape. About 1/3 of the lower portion of the fuselage missing. I put the battery back in and it still flew, a little tape and glue it is good to go!

gazza

Thanks

The manual states to check Safe for the rudder as well.
Is this an error in the manual?

Attachments

• safe.jpg
    safe.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

bgfireguy92

No it's not an error but safe will hardly EVER activate the rudder. Capt_Beavis nailed it in that you only need elevator and aileron to correct flight.

KRAR

gazza I would disagree with the other two, from what you are telling me something is wrong. I personally would not fly any of my planes if the receiver was not working correctly. Try rebinding it, try a power cycle. However that is just me, It is a really good habit to get into.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think SAFE is basically AS3X with additional features (flight modes, panic button) -- and on my AS3X equipped UMX P51D that I keep at work (with a bunch of 1S cells), I can confirm that when armed, the rudder DOES indeed counteract YAW movement.

Maybe you're not noticing it or giving it enough yaw with enough force to see it react? For the AS3X UMX plane, I had to do the following:

1) Turn on TX
2) Plug in battery
3) Set it on ground to initialize/arm while still
4) Pip the throttle to activate the AS3X (KEEP the plane secured/tied/held down and keep clear of the prop)
5) Pick up the plane and holding tail in/nose out, YAW it 180 degrees back and forth repeatedly. I saw the rudder deflect a few degrees opposite of the yaw (when I yawed/rotated left, it went right, when I yawed right, it went left)

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Maybe I just can't perceive it on my Super Cub S. I can hear it doing something but I can't "see" the rudder moving.

I Have the same plane, I noticed that the rudder movement for correction is VERY momentary, It will work just fine if you can move it with transmitter inputs.

Last edited: